Sharing Memories (Week 30): We're Having a Heat Wave

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2011
      Hello everyone!

      It's Week 30 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy
      join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your
      descendants will be thankful that you did! Write here as a comment, or on
      your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

      We're having a heat wave here in Ontario Canada so what else have I been
      thinking about this week besides how humid and hot it is outside! That got
      me thinking about when I was a child. What was the weather like way back
      then? Did we have heat waves and how did we cope?

      I know my family didn't have air-conditioning - did anyone back then?

      I don't think children are affected as much by hot days so our memories of
      them may be hazy or non-existent. What I do recall is the windows in our
      house. They had storm windows, not screens, and all you could do for air was
      flip up a little piece of wood which covered three horizontal holes. That
      let outside air in.

      It was also difficult to open the windows and you had to wedge something
      either in the track (a think piece of wood) or between the bottom of the
      window and the sill (a book if one was handy) to hold then open.

      I'm assuming the upstairs, where we kids slept, was hotter than Hades but I
      just don't recall. I'm also not sure when we finally got screens for the
      windows but we had them by the time I was a teenager.

      Did we have fans? That's another thing I can't remember. We didn't have a
      lot of shade in the form of trees either so outside probably wasn't the best
      place to be either. We did have a lilac tree in the back corner of the
      backyard so that would have provided some shade.

      I have a vague memory of the sprinkler being on and us kids running and
      jumping through it. But is that a real memory or wishful thinking! I'm not
      sure. Isn't it funny how some memories just won't come to you? I'm kind of
      hoping one or two of my siblings read this Sharing Memories post and
      comment. They're older than me and maybe they can remember hot weather
      better than I can.

      Do you remember extreme summer heat when you were a child?

      Posted By Genealogy Blogger to Olive Tree Genealogy
      Blog<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/>at 7/24/2011 07:54:00 AM

      Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      Follow my genealogy updates on my blog
      and on Twitter http://twitter.com/LorineMS