Genealogy Games For a Family Reunion: Part 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      Summer's the time for family reunions. We have one every year or two at our
      home in the country and a Scavenger Hunt is a big part of the family fun
      day. But this year I'm doing something quite different. I'm creating a race
      - *The Amazing Egg Race *(this is the working title, we may change it) -
      which features 8 genealogy related events.

      Hubs and I started brainstorming for this race about 3 months ago. Gradually
      it evolved into eight different events, each one based on an actual true
      event or life circumstance for one of my ancestors. For example, one of my
      cousins, a man named Stephen
      Peer<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2008/10/stephen-peer-tighrope-walker-of-niagara.html>,
      walked a tightrope across Niagara Falls in 1887, then later fell to his
      death - whether accident, suicide or murder is not known.

      So one of the events that teams must complete is the *"Steve Peer Niagara
      Falls Tightrope Walk". *The event will consist of a long narrow board raised
      about 4 to 6 inches from the ground, along which all team members must walk
      from one end to the other.

      I don't want to give away too much information here in Olive Tree Genealogy
      blog, as some of my family actually read the blog! But I am creating posters
      on bristleboard and flyers for each event. The posters with rules and
      instructions for the specific event will be placed at the event location and
      laminated flyers taped to the poster.

      8.5 x 11 inch Flyers provide details of the specific ancestor - their births
      and deaths, and accomplishment that the race event is based on. I've also
      added pictures to hopefully generate more interest.

      An event "referee" wearing a name tag with that ancestor's name, will
      monitor the specific event. As each team completes an event, the team is
      given a coloured plastic egg. Inside the egg is their next clue which takes
      them to the next event. Simple!

      But of course there are some surprises along the way. For instance, teams
      must reach the final ancestor pit stop with 9 coloured eggs and some other
      items which I can't mention here or it will give too much away. Let's just
      say that by the time teams reach one of the last events on the race, they'll
      be hard-pressed to figure out how they are going to complete it and manage
      to carry all their items and eggs to the finish line.

      In future parts of this series about Genealogy Games for Family Reunions,
      I'll explain how teams are assembled (Spoiler: Think Ancestor
      Cards<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/search/label/Ancestor%20Cards>...),
      more of the events, prizes, and how to plan and organize your own Genealogy
      Family Fun Day.

      --
      Posted By Genealogy Blogger to Olive Tree Genealogy
      Blog<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/>at 7/04/2011 09:40:00 AM

      --
      Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      Follow my genealogy updates on my blog