Finding a Loyalist Ancestor Part 4: Land Records

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 3:58 PM
      Hi everyone,

      We talked about the history of Loyalists in Part
      1<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/finding-details-about-loyalist-in-your.html>and
      about Land Grants and Requirements for Loyalist Status in Part
      2<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/finding-loyalist-ancestor-part-2.html>and
      Land Petitions in Part
      3<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/finding-loyalist-ancestor-part-3.html>.
      Now let's talk about other Land Records that can help you find a Loyalist
      Ancestor

      *Upper Canada Land Books*

      The Upper Canada Land Books do not, for the most part, contain much more
      information than the names of petitioners for land. However if you cannot
      find your ancestor in a Land Petition, you may find his or her name in the
      Land Books. Sometimes more detail is found in the comments section of the
      Land Book reference, but not often. Library & Archives Canada provides a list
      of microfilm reel
      numbers<http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-912.001.04-e.html>for
      both Upper and Lower Canada Land Books.

      There are four Land Books for Upper Canada (A, B, C & D) which are in
      chronological order from 17 February 1787 to 13 July 1798. Upper Canada Land
      Book C<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/%7Ewjmartin/lbcpart1.htm>covering
      11 April to 20 December 1797 has been indexed and abstracted and
      can be consulted online. There are also some out-of-order petition entries
      for June and July 1796 in this database.

      An example of a Land Book entry is one for my ancestor Jacob Peer in July
      1797. His one line entry in Land Book C states

      *"Peer, Jacob - Praying for lands as a settler. Recommended for 200 acres."*

      That is a typical entry. However some entries provide much more detail such
      as this one for Rebecca Seeley

      *

      "Seeley, Rebecca - Praying for 3000 acres of lands in remuneration of her
      father's losses during the American war. The committee of Council are
      restricted from recommending lands as a compensation for losses,
      commissioners having been sent by His Majesty to this country for the
      especial purpose of remunerating the suffering loyalists. As the petitioner
      appears to have neglected this opportunity, the committee regret that they
      can only recommend her for 200 acres, if her father's name appears on the
      U.E. List."

      *Remember - these are brief entries from the Land Books. Petitions in the
      Upper Canada Land Petition files contain letters, affidavits, petitions,
      oaths of allegiance and more.

      CLRI

      CLRI (Computerized Land Records
      Index)<http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/clri.shtml>(aka
      Ontario Land Record Index)summarizes land grants from sales of Crown
      Land, from Canada Company sales or leases and from Peter Robinson settlers'
      grants. If your ancestor settled anywhere in Ontario and he was the first
      time buyer of Crown Land, he will be on these lists. Loyalists were the
      first time owners of Crown Lands and thus are almost always found in the
      CLRI.

      The information from the CLRI one-line entry includes date of purchase, type
      of purchase, residence of purchaser, land location (lot, concession,
      township), type of purchase (very important to knowing whether or not there
      are more records available!), archival reference (where full record can be
      found) and often more info such as date of land ticket, or date of petition
      for land, etc.

      Both of these resources can help you find a Loyalist ancestor. Next time
      I'll talk about the various lists of Loyalists and why the researcher should
      approach with caution....

      --
      Posted By Genealogy Blogger to Olive Tree Genealogy
      Blog<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/finding-loyalist-ancestor-part-4-land.html>at

      --
      Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      Follow my genealogy updates on my blog