Ancestry Goof with 1861 Canadian Census

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2011

      I've been quiet for a few days as I've not been well. It turns out that what
      at first looked like a bad cold was really an allergy to our new baby
      piglets! I'm feeling better now as we have put them in a garden shed with
      heat lamps and the house is once again spic and span clean.

      I discovered something interesting today on Ancestry and wanted to share it
      with you. First a little background information:

      Agricultural Census returns are often overlooked by genealogists.
      Agricultural returns provide information such as lot and concession number,
      acreage, livestock and agricultural products.

      In the Canadian 1851 and 1861 Census, the agricultural returns are listed by
      the name of the head-of-household. The agricultural returns for 1881, 1891,
      1901 and 1911 were not kept.

      Ancestry.com has the 1861 Agricultural portion of the census online. That's
      the good news! You can search for an ancestor in it by including the keyword
      "AGRICULTURAL" in the search fields.

      The bad news is that only half of each page has been scanned. The 1861
      Agricultural return consists of 69 columns ranging in data from Lot and
      Concession Number to number of acres cultivated, planted, woods etc to how
      many acres and bushels of various crops (wheat, barley, rye, potatoes and so
      on) your ancestor planted and harvested to questions about his livestock -
      what he has, how old they are worth.

      These columns are listed on two pages in a ledger book - so we have a left
      side and a right side (two facing pages in the book). But Ancestry has only
      scanned and put online the questions and answers from the left side! So the
      questions (and answers) end at #38.

      This is aggravating as the agricultural census allows researchers to add so
      much interesting detail to an ancestor. You can build a really good image of
      your ancestor working his farm and tending his crops and animals. I found
      out that my ancestor Levi Peer, had many hives of bees. I presume he
      obtained honey for cooking and for his children - perhaps even to sell to
      neighbours.

      Here is the complete list of questions on the 1861 Agricultural
      Census<http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/1861ag.shtml>.
      Wouldn't it be great to see both pages on Ancestry.com? If we all report
      this oversight to Ancestry perhaps they will add the missing pages.

      --
      Posted By Genealogy Blogger to Olive Tree Genealogy
      Blog<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/03/ancestry-goof-with-1861-canadian-census.html>at

      --
      Follow my genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS