12 Months of Finding Ancestors: Free BMD Postems

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2010
      Mike of Genealogy Gazette <http://genealogygazette.blogspot.com/> mentioned
      a little known and under-used resource for genealogists on his Twitter feed.
      I checked it out and realized he's right - it's a gold mine for genealogists
      that is overlooked for the most part!

      Those of us with English ancestry no doubt know of Free
      BMD<http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl>.
      This is the volunteer based website where you can search indexes to find the
      GRO <http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/search/label/GRO>reference for
      birth, marriage and death certificates. It's invaluable. I use it
      frequently. But I never realized there is a little feature called
      Postems<http://www.freebmd.org.uk/advanced-facilities.html>.

      Postems allow visitors to add information to an index entry once found. So a
      genealogist could find an entry for an ancestor, send for the certificate
      and then enter some of the details on the Postem for that index entry. Mike
      pointed out that if more genealogists filled these out we could all benefit.

      Of course we have to avoid posting copyright material so I personally would
      not copy and submit the actual certificate word for word. But there's no
      reason a summary could not be submitted - for a birth registration you could
      simply submit the parents' names.

      Continue reading.... at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      --
      Posted By Genealogy Blogger to Olive Tree Genealogy
      Blog<http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2010/12/12-months-of-finding-ancestors-free-bmd.html>at

      --
      Follow my genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS