Boo! Happy Hallowe'en and New Genealogy Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2010
      Happy Hallowe'en to those who celebrate it

      Our Sharing Memories topic for today is (big surprise) HALLOWE'EN!
      Last Sunday on Week 47 we talked about Hallowe'en costumes - ours as
      children, our parents, our grandparents... today it's all about
      Hallowe'en Parties and Trick or Treating. Won't you join us? Your
      memories are important to preserve for future generations! Sharing
      Memories is every Sunday on http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com

      Now for the new items - I'm very excited about this new project

      There is a new database online that will be of interest to those
      seeking ancestors who arrived in Upper Canada in 1825.  The new
      project is the extraction of names from Surgeons Medical Journals
      which were kept during the voyages of 8 ships sailing from England to
      Quebec carrying impoverished Irish settlers .

      There are medical journals for 8 ships and they contain a great deal
      of information. Olive Tree Genealogy's project contains extracted
      details of the voyage, the names and ages of each passenger treated by
      the surgeon, the date they were put on the sick list, where the ship
      was at the time and the date they recovered or died. Births of
      children are also recorded as are deaths, sometimes with details as to
      exact time and location. Go to
      http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/canada/PeterRobinson.shtml or
      use the shorter URL http://bit.ly/a3ERA4

      The medical journals are not passenger lists, they are the Sick Bay
      journals kept in great detail for the sick and dying (and pregnant
      women in labour). You will want to consult these extracts if you think
      your Irish ancestors were on board the following ships:

      * Surgeon's Journal of the Transport Ship John Barry between 22 April
      to 25 July 1825

      * Surgeon's Journal of the Transport Ship Amity between 5 April to 9 July 1825

      * Surgeon's Journal of the Transport Ship Elizabeth between 4 May 1825
      & 21st July 1825

      * Medical and surgical journal of the Star transport ship for 6 April
      to 13 July 1825 by Ninian McMorris, Surgeon ,

      * Medical and surgical journal of the Regulus transport ship for 7
      April to 13 July 1825 by Matthew Burnside, Surgeon

      * Medical and surgical journal of the Fortitude Emigrant Ship for 28
      April to 1 July 1825 by Francis Connin, Surgeon

      * Medical journal of the Brunswick, emigrant ship, for 5 April to 27
      June 1825 by John Tarn surgeon

      * Medical and surgical journal of the Albion Convict Ship, for 4 April
      to 4 July 1825 by John Thomson Surgeon ,

      The surgeons' journals contain much detail both on the illnesses of
      each passenger and on the journey itself. Some surgeons recorded their
      thoughts about certain passengers so they are a very interesting read.

      Each journal extract is also linked to Sue Swiggum's list of
      passengers for those 8 ships as found in other resources. So you can
      follow the links to compare names and gather more details on each
      person named.

      The journals are discussed on my blog and you can also follow the
      links from yesterday's blog post at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com

      *************************

      Remember you can join us on the Olive Tree Genealogy fan page on
      Facebook (it's free) at
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      It's interactive, you can post and start discussions or just make a
      comment on other topics.

      *************************

      Something else - you can now TWEET any page of Olive Tree Genealogy.
      Just go to the site http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ to ANY page
      that you like or find useful and look in the left side bar. You will
      see a title in a green bar "Recommend this Site" and under the title
      bar you see the text "Share with other genealogists! Tweet this page!"
      Now it's easy - just click the Tweet button and you have sent the
      title of the page/database plus it's URL to Twitter and your
      followers.

      Of course this assumes you are on Twitter. Twitter is free and it's a
      great place to share with other genealogists, find out what's the
      latest in genealogy circles and share genealogy pages that you like.
      So give it a try! If you want to follow me or have me follow you, just
      drop me a line on my Twitter page at http://twitter.com/LorineMS Not
      sure how to send me a message? Go to your Twitter page and send a
      tweet starting with @LorineMS

      Have fun!

      Lorine

      Follow my genealogy updates on Twitter