New Netherland Settlers: The Stevensen & Jacobsen Families

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2010
      Hello everyone -

      I'm very excited to announce the completion of another book
      in my NEW NETHERLAND SETTLERS series. It's taken 9 years
      (gulp!) to complete the last little bit, but it's done.

      New Netherland Settlers: The Stevensen and Jacobsen
      Families. A genealogy to three generations of the
      descendants of Maria Goosens and her husband Steven Janse
      Coning who settled in Fort Orange in 1649 (Stevensen
      Family) and Maria Goosens and a man named Jacob (Jacobszen
      Family) is now available.

      A brief excerpt was previously published as The European
      Origins of Steven Janse Coning in the December 2001, Vol. 6
      No. 4 issue of New Netherland Connections.

      My book completes several years of research into the
      origins and descendants of Steven Janse Coning who was
      baptized in 1617 in Nijkerk and settled in New Netherland
      with his wife Maria Goosens circa 1649. By 1663 Steven and
      Maria had at least 7, possibly 8 children. After their
      divorce in 1663 Steven and Maria married other spouses, and
      Maria had one more known child born to a man named Jacob
      whose surname is unknown. This book follows Steven, Maria
      and their descendants to three generations.

      The book is 154 pages fully sourced and footnoted. Six full
      pages of original documents from Nijkerk are included as
      well as maps. Steven and Maria's lives are set in the
      historical context of the fascinating world of the early
      settlement of New Netherland. Steven's newly discovered
      origins and names of his parents, grandparents, great-
      grandparents and siblings are documented and sourced. His
      family's suffering when the Bubonic plague struck Nijkerk
      in 1636 when Steven was only 18 years old is well
      documented and included in the book.

      Please visit
      http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/published.shtml for other
      books in the series.