May Update

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 4:29 PM
      Hello everyone

      I'm very excited to announce that I have completed another
      genealogy-history book:

      The Van Slyke Family in America: A Genealogy of Cornelise
      Antonissen Van Slyke, 1604-1676 and his Mohawk Wife Ots-
      Toch , including the story of Jacques Hertel, 1603-1651,
      Father of Ots-Toch and Interpreter to Samuel de Champlain
      REVISED EDITION

      Ever since the publication of my first Van Slyke Family in
      America book in 1996, I have been continuing my research on
      this family. A few years ago I found a court record in New
      Netherland where Cornelis Van Slyke wrote about the death
      of a man in Breuckelen Netherlands. Cornelis referred to
      the deceased man as his brother and asked if he was in the
      will. This exciting discovery spurred me to hire a Dutch
      researcher to search the Breuckelen and Nijenrode archives
      for more details. His findings are presented in this
      Revised Edition.

      The Van Slyke Family in America, Revised Edition, discusses
      Cornelise Antonissen Van Slyke born in Brueckelen,
      Netherlands in 1604 and his Mohawk-French wife Ots-Toch
      born ca 1620 at Canajoharie, New York. Cornelis came to the
      New World in May of 1634, settling at Beverwyck and then
      Schenectady, New York. Cornelis was known by several names,
      making research on him somewhat complicated, but not
      impossible.

      Cornelis Van Slyke's story is of a Dutchman who came to the
      New World as a carpenter at the age of 30, who became an
      interpreter for the Mohawk nation, was adopted into the
      tribe, and who met and married a French-Mohawk woman (Ots-
      Toch)who never left her native village. Their children, all
      raised at Canajoharie, one of the Mohawk castles or
      villages, became well-known and respected in the Dutch
      community. All except one left the village and married
      Dutch settlers.

      In the Revised Edition, new findings on the Van Slyke
      family in Breuckelen are revealed. New facts are added to
      the descendant genealogies and a few errors from the first
      book are corrected. More sources have been added and there
      is more detail about individuals included. There are 1,342
      footnoted sources for the facts contained in this 287 page
      book.

      http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/store/order-books.shtml
      will take those interested directly to an order form

      **************
      Success! We found grandchildren, a son, a daughter and a
      living wife for the WW2 American soldier whose dog tags
      were found in Australia. I'll be posting our success story
      on my Olive Tree Genealogy blog either today or tomorrow.
      What a heart-warming story, so many comments being posted
      on my blog by Randall's descendants at http://bit.ly/9VQJ8L

      His dog tags will be returned to his wife (90 years old) by
      Jill in Australia. What a great story!

      **************
      Don't miss the questions and answers this month on Ask
      Olive Tree at http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/

      Do you have a challenging genealogy puzzle? Submit it to me
      at AskOliveTree@... then watch the blog for a
      response

      **************
      Lots of new free data going online. See
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com for the details
      about such new items as

      Weekly Featured Database: Irish Famine Migration to New
      Brunswick, 1845-1852

      Weekly Featured Database: Missing Friends Project

      Stewart & Kincaid Famine Letters Bought in Ireland

      *************
      I'm pleased and honoured that my blog was chosen to be in
      MyHeritage.com’s Top 100 Genealogy Sites!

      Another surprise was to find my blog chosen by
      Onlineuniversities.com as one of their 50 Best Blogs for
      Genealogy Geeks

      It's been a fun week, full of surprises!

      * Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LorineMS
      * Olive Tree Genealogy

      olivetreegenealogy@... or
      olivetreegenealogy@...