What About the Women?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 10:00 AM
      Today (March 8) is International Women's Day.

      In honour of the unsung and unknown female ancestors in our
      family tree, take some time today, this week and this month
      to pick one and find out more about her.

      How often do we give up on a female ancestor? We find their
      first name and it becomes difficult to find a surname or
      her parents so we shrug our shoulders and set her aside
      "for now". But do we ever get back to her and dig deeper?

      Your female ancestors had every bit as much to do with who
      you are as your male ancestors so let's give those women a
      place.

      Look over your pedigree chart. How many of your female
      ancestors have complete details of their birth or death?
      Choose one of them and set a goal to find at least one fact
      about her that you didn't previously know.

      Women had hard lives. They often bore children a year
      apart. They toiled over woodstoves or open hearths to
      prepare meals for large families. They tended sick babies
      when there was little or no medical help or medications
      such as what we take for granted today. They buried many of
      their children but they carried on.

      Let's honour them by not neglecting them in our genealogy
      research. They deserve to be known so let's find them!

      You can see how many neglected female ancestors I found in
      a 5-generation pedigree chart on my blog at "What About the
      Women?" at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-about-
      women.html

      or use this shorter URL http://tiny.cc/VG0K6

      I've chosen one of them to research this month. Won't you
      join in and celebrate the female ancestors in your family
      tree?

      * Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LorineMS
      * Olive Tree Genealogy

      olivetreegenealogy@... or