Sharing Memories; Letters as Loot; Find an American WW2 Soldier and more

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hello everyone

      Just a few items I think you may want to know about:

      *********************
      Letters as Loot - Fascinating Project of Leiden University!

      Thanks to the subscribers of the New-Netherland mailing
      list discussing the New Netherland Institute online, I
      found Letters as Loot, an absolutely wonderful project by
      the University of Leiden.

      See http://tinyurl.com/ybszfft for more details. For those
      unfamliar with the term New Netherland, that is now present
      day New York

      *********************
      Sharing Memories (Week 13): More School Memories (Gr. 7 &
      8) We are on Week 13 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories -
      A Genealogy Journey Journal. I hope everyone will join me
      this week to talk about more memories! Imagine how excited
      your grandchildren or great grandchildren would be to read
      your stories in the future. These can be private or public
      stories, the choice is yours!

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      *********************
      Help Find American WW2 Soldier

      This was a fascinating quest asked on
      AskOliveTree.blogspot.com

      Can anyone help Jill find this American WW2 soldier? Jill
      found his Dog Tags in Australia and has asked my help in
      finding out about Stanley

      We had wonderful teamwork with many readers contributing
      their findings to complete the puzzle of Stanley from
      Washington and his Dog Tags in Australia. We are not done,
      so please check out the 3 blog posts and reader comments at

      http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/2010/02/help-find-ww2-
      american-soldier.html or use this shorter URL
      http://tinyurl.com/yekzpcr

      Join us if you can! Teamwork is great. Let's find Stanley's
      descendants.

      *********************
      Update on PEER FAMILY BOOKS

      Some of you may know that last year was a very bad year for
      me health-wise. I had major surgery in late November to
      correct a rather serious problem, and am finding the
      recovery slow. I tire easily and am in quite a bit of
      discomfort.

      I was scheduled for another surgery next week but it has
      been cancelled until I am stronger. Telling you this is not
      for sympathy but to explain why the publication of the
      planned volumes on the Peer Family has been delayed.

      The good news is that Vol. 1 The Peer Family in North
      America: Jacob & Anne Peer, Immigrants from Sussex Co. New
      Jersey to Upper Canada in 1796, a study of the first two
      generations (including documents, maps and photos) is in
      its final draft stage.

      That means that I will work on that final draft starting
      this week. I cannot predict when I will complete it as I
      will rest when I am tired and work when I am not. :-)

      Volume 1 contains narrative (footnoted) chapters on Jacob
      Peer Sr, and each of his children. 32 documents (wills,
      land petitions, land records, etc) are included in this
      volume, as well as maps and family group charts.

      Vols 2-9 will be on the children of Jacob & Anne down
      several generations. For more information please visit
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/books/peer-book.shtml

      Thank you for your patience. I am very excited to complete
      Vol 1 and then compile the other volumes in turn. All my
      research is done and some of the Volumes 2-9 have been
      started so I hope that 2010 is the year that I finish the
      entire set!

      *********************
      Announcing the Family Tree Magazine 40 Best Genealogy
      Blogs: http://bit.ly/aAj2MM

      Congratulations to all the winners!

      I confess I was disappointed to not find OliveTreeGenealogy
      blog on the Top 40, especially since it was in the running,
      but the list of winners is impressive! Please stop by and
      read the Top 40 blogs, you will no doubt be very happy you
      did.

      That's it for now, remember that you can ask your
      challenging puzzles at http://askolivetree.blogspot.com
      and I'll do my best to answer them

      * Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LorineMS
      * Olive Tree Genealogy