Birthday Celebration Coming Up for Olive Tree Genealogy!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      I hope the first part of 2010 is going well for everyone! Last month I started a series of Genealogy Journal Writing – creating your own memoirs to pass on to your children or grandchildren. I'm keeping my own journal and encourage all my readers to write theirs along with me.

      Writing our own memoirs is often overlooked. We're thrilled to find a diary or journal of a great great grandparent but we may not realize that our own stories and memories will be just as exciting and important to our descendants!

      This is a 52 week series. Each week I suggest a topic that will hopefully help us all to stay on track and get motivated to write. The topics are found at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      Don't worry, I'm also giving some examples of what I'm writing about each week, and readers are welcome to contribute their own. We are on Week 6 but it's not too late to join us! Just go to the blog URL above and look down the right hand side bar for the topic SHARING MEMORIES.

      Here are the topics we've written about so far:

      Sharing Memories: A Genealogy Journey (Week 1)
      Sharing Memories: Winter Activities (Week 2)
      Sharing Memories - Winter Vacations (Week 3)
      Sharing Memories - Christmas Activities (Week 4)
      Sharing Memories: New Year's (Week 5)
      Sharing Memories: Winter Weather (Week 6)

      Don't miss my new 12 Months of Finding Ancestors series. Each month (starting in January 2010) I'm going to focus on a set of records you might not have thought of looking in for your elusive ancestors. I'll explain the records, what you can find out from them, where you might find them, and share examples of my own research using those records.

      This can be found on my blog at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      Did you know that my website Olive Tree Genealogy will be 14 years old this February? That's right! Olive Tree Genealogy actually began sometime in the winter of 1995 but it wasn't until February 1996 that it was given space on the old Rootsweb site. Imagine – I've been around on the Internet for 14 years, that's a LONG time for a website!

      You can read a bit about me at http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/lorine.shtml or see some of the early versions of Olive Tree Genealogy at http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/olive-tree-genealogy-history.shtml

      To celebrate this 14th birthday I'm giving away 3 genealogy prizes from names drawn at random from subscribers to my Olive Tree Genealogy newsletter. The draw will take place on February 15 and winners notified by email.

      Speaking of birthdays, on Jan 3rd, AskOliveTree Blog at http://askolivetree.blogspot.com was one year old. In that year, I answered 247 questions from genealogy researchers. Phew!

      Answering one query each day is almost impossible, so this year (2010) my more realistic goal is to respond to 5 queries each week. Can I do it? 5x52=260. I almost made it last year! Send your challenges, puzzles and brick walls to askolivetree@...

      Almshouse & Poorhouse Records online

      Now you can search New York Almshouse Records for the years 1782-1813 which I have just put online. The records contain name of ancestor, date admitted, age, where from or born, complaint [illness], discharged, died, remarks.

      Start with New York Almshouse 1782-1813 Surnames 'A' at http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/almshouse/

      These records contain details such as

      • Conlin, Mary age 38 from/born Ireland, Drunken Vagrant discharged Apr 11, 1812
      • Aimes, Henry age 52 from/born New York died Aug 17, 1812
      • Anderson, Mary age 36 from/born New Jersey discharged May 5, 1812 sent to asylum
      • 1807 May 7 Arden, Thomas Jefferson, Bastard, 5 months at nurse with Mary Parker

      Those Wonderful Naturalization Records!

      You have to love Naturalization Records. What a wealth of information there can be in them. Examples of various USA Petitions for Naturalization are shown online on NaturalizationRecords.com at http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/

      For example, the 1795 Petition for Naturalization for Patrick Ryan in Pennsylvania is lengthy but tells us little about Patrick.

      In contrast, the 1906 Petition for Naturalization for Christopher Alt in Baltimore Maryland gives occupation, date and place of birth, date of immigration, port of departure and port of arrival, names of children plus dates and locations of births

      Even better, the 1912 Petition for Naturalization for Jacob Imfang of Pittsburg Pennsylvania gives occupation, date and place of birth, date of immigration, port of departure and port of arrival, name of spouse, names of children plus dates and locations of births

      My Naturalization Records website at http://naturalizationrecords.com/ is one I've been working on recently. Many links to naturalization records have been added and broken links repaired.

      You can see what's been added in the last few weeks by visiting the What's New page at http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/free0110.shtml

      That's it for this week, if you have time, please visit my blogs at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com and http://askolivetree.blogspot.com as well as my two of my websites http://olivetreegenealogy.com and http://naturalizationrecords.com/

      Don't forget you can also friend me on Facebook at

      I'm also on Twitter and you can follow my updates and tweets
      at http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also become a Fan of Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page on Facebook at