I Got Wise -- Genealogy Wise that is.....

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 7:54 AM
      Hello friends and followers of Olive Tree Genealogy.

      We had a lovely family wedding last weekend when one of my beautiful nieces married her boyfriend of 9 years. It was a fun time and I had a chance to talk with many extended family members and catch up on old times.

      Things got quite exciting in the genealogy community when a new social website called GenealogyWise opened its doors. Bloggers and genealogists flocked to it and in the first few days membership (free) soared. Thousands of genealogy groups were established and passionate discussions began. At the time of this writing there are

      I set up several groups that you may be interested in having a look at. Some of them are quite active and members are very busy helping one another!

      Lost Faces: Ancestor Photos & Albums at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/lostfacesancestorphotosalbums (I was pleased to see this group listed in the top 10 most active and the top 10 most popular (# of members)
      Ships Passenger Lists to USA at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/shipspassengerliststousa (listed in the top 10 most active)
      Ships Passenger Lists to Canada at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/shipspassengerliststocanada
      Naturalization Records at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/naturalizationrecords
      Ontario Canada Genealogy at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/ontariocanadagenealogy

      Surname Groups I established on http://www.genealogywise.com/ are McGinnis Genealogy, Peer Genealogy, Vollick Genealogy and Van Slyke Genealogy. I will be setting up more as time permits!

      I also have 2 other Groups, one for Olive Tree Genealogy website and the other for AskOliveTreeGenealogy a Question. You can find any of these by joining GenealogyWise and then searching in the Groups area by name. There are many other excellent groups that might interest you so be sure to look around!

      Be sure to link to me as a Friend by going to http://www.genealogywise.com/profile/LorineMcGinnisSchulze

      **************************

      Here are the questions asked and answered on http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/ in the past few weeks. Send your genealogy queries to AskOliveTree@...

      * Ruth's Question: How to find an immigration record by looking in other databases
      * Question from Richard: Russian Immigrants to Kentucky?
      * Question from Kansas: Help Finding an Ancestor's Ships Passenger List
      * Question from Ron: Finding an Ancestor who migrated Canada>USA>Canada
      * Question from Sarah: Finding an Alberta Land Grant
      * Kathryn's Question: Finding Records of War of Independence in Ireland
      * Ann's Question: How to find records for Waterford Ireland
      * Question: How to Find an Ancestor in New York 1840s
      * Question: Finding a Long Lost Love
      * Question: Finding an elusive ancestor in Canada
      * Marie's Question: FInding out if a ship sailed in a certain year
      * Gini's Question: Finding out what newspapers exist in different locations
      * Olav's Question: Finding Answers in Naturalization Records

      **************************

      Here's a few of the genealogy items I've been talking about on Olive Tree Genealogy Blog at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      ** Online release of the Stars and Stripes historic newspaper archive
      NewspaperARCHIVE,(at NewspaperARCHIVE.com) in partnership with Stars and Stripes U.S. military publication, announces the online release of the Stars and Stripes historic newspaper archive. Continue reading at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/07/online-release-of-stars-and-stripes.html

      ** Caribbean Slave Records coming online
      Ancestry.com Launches One of the Most Comprehensive Collections of Caribbean Slave Records. Continue reading at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/07/caribbean-slave-records-coming-online.html

      ** Dating Old Family Photos
      You've found a box of old photos in your great-aunt's attic. She doesn't want them and tells you to go ahead and take the box. Some of the pictures are identified by name but you've no idea when the photos were taken! What do you do now? Continue reading at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/07/dating-old-family-photos.html

      ** Anomaly of Ellis Island Ships Passenger Lists
      Some time ago on a ships passenger lists mailing list, my friend Sue Swiggum of TheShipsList.com discovered that the total number of passengers on a filmed Ellis Island list matched the number of third class passengers only. All other passengers were missing. Continue reading at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/07/anomaly-of-ellis-island-ships-passenger.html

      ** I Got Wise... GenealogyWise that is....
      I got wise. GenealogyWise that is... yesterday I joined GenealogyWise.com. GenealogyWise is a new social network site and when I first heard about it I thought "Oh no, just a Facebook wannabee..." I didn't expect to like it. I decided to give it a try though before giving it the thumbs down. Continue reading at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/07/i-got-wise-genealogywise-that-is.html

      Hoping to see you on one of the social networks! You can follow my genealogy updates on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy Fan page on Facebook at http://facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      Or you can join the Olive Tree Genealogy Fan page on GenealogyWise at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/olivetreegenealogy

      Friend me at http://www.genealogywise.com/profile/LorineMcGinnisSchulze