Canada Day & July 4th Celebrations Coming Up!

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      Some big celebrations are coming up - We Canadians celebrate our Canada Day on Wednesday July 1st and our American cousins are celebrating July4th this coming weekend. Some of our local residents have already started their Canada Celebrations with fireworks. A huge explosion of fireworks was set off quite near us and the whole house shook, windows rattled, a most unsettling experience.

      On the homefront, I am now on High speed wireless thanks to Rogers Portable Modem. Yay! After years of struggling on dialup which only reached max connection of 32 kbps (on a good day) I now am whizzing along at 54Mbps! Thanks to Rogers for developing something that works in rural areas like ours.

      ******************
      Here's what's new in the Genealogy World:

      On AskOliveTree Blog at http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/ the following questions have been asked and answered

      * Finding Answers in Naturalization Records (Olive Tree Answer to Olav's question)

      * How to Find War of 1812 Records for an Ancestor (Olive Tree Answer to Carol's question)

      * How to Obtain Complete Details from an index-only database (Olive Tree Answer to M.R.'s question)

      * Finding an Australian Ships Passenger List (Olive Tree Answer to Naomi's question)

      * A reader responds to question about Australian Ships Passenger Lists (Followup to Naomi's question)

      * A Reader Asks where the Canadian census images on Ancestry come from (Olive Tree Answer to David's question)

      * Where to search and locate names/dates of ships arriving in Maryland prior to 1800 (Olive Tree Answer to Larry's question)

      Send your genealogy queries and puzzlers to AskOliveTree@... and I will do my best to answer them! Reader's input is always welcome, you might have an answer that is just what the questioner needed.

      You have got to read my experiences ordering records from the National Archives in Kew England. I wrote about it in two blog posts called Ordering Documents from National Archives in Kew - a Comedy of Errors Part 1, and Part 2 at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      I also provided readers with step by step instructions on how NOT to make the same mistake(s) I did, complete with graphic shots showing how to search for, find, then fill out and order documents for an ancestor. Believe me after mistakenly ordering and receiving 864 documents I have learned from my mistake!

      I also talked about Dealing with Transcription Errors in Census Records in another blog post at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/dealing-with-transcription-errors-in.html (or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for that speicific post) . After finding my PEER family misindexed as ROSS in a census record online I thought I'd write about how hard it was to find them and how I eventually accomplished this. Hopefully it will help someone find their missing ancestor!

      Don't miss my post featuring a little known database and resource called the Pennsylvania Baggage Lists (for passengers to Pennsylvania) before 1820. It's at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/featuring-pennsylvania-ships-passenger.html (or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for that speicific post)

      A few years ago I discovered a very interesting set of immigration records. While searching New York records on microfilm, I stumbled on a set of Almshouse Records which had the names of ships the Almshouse inmaates sailed on to America (which included USA and Canada). Often the year of arrival was also given. Continue reading Getting Immigration Information from Almshouse Records at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/getting-immigration-information-from.html I now have many of these records online to be freely searched.

      That's it for this issue of Olive Tree Genealogy newsletter! Happy hunting and enjoy your upcoming celebrations if you live in Canada or USA.