Exciting News! Canadian Census online!!

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2009

      It's been awhile since I wrote this newsletter but I've had some glitches in my computer setup. Right now I am working on a laptop with a very tiny screen! That makes it difficult for me to see what I'm writing because of my Cogan's Dystrophy (a condition of the cornea of the eye).

      I won't have my usual 24" monitor for a few more days so I thought I better struggle along as best I could to get this newsletter out today. The exciting news about the complete Canadian census being online just won't wait any longer! So please bear with me and forgive any typos I might make.

      Here is what is happening in the genealogy community

      From Olive Tree Genealogy Blog, lots of excitement this month! Remember you can always start at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and use the Blogger Search Engine to search for any article of interest on the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog.

      You can also use the list of Topics (Keywords) in the right hand side bar. Just wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down the side bar until you see a topic of interest.

      *******************
      Great News! Complete census of Canada ONLINE

      Great news! You can now search for ancestors in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Canada census, plus view the actual census images. Continue reading and get the links at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/great-news-complete-census-of-canada.html

      Topic (Keyword) "Canada Census" in right hand side bar at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      *******************
      Caveat re 1861 Canada Census Online

      A source in the UK who has been doing her own transcription of the 1861 Toronto census, wrote to me to share a very interesting (but disturbing) problem with the new 1861 Canada census on Ancestry.com Continue reading at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/caveat-re-1861-canada-census-online.html

      There is an ongoing discussion (12 comments from readers so far) including a response from a FamilySearch representative, so you won't want to miss this post!

      Topic (Keyword) "Canada Census" in right hand side bar http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      *******************
      Front Pages Free from NewspaperArchive

      This is very interesting - another freebie from NewspaperARCHIVE.com at http://www.newspaperarchive.com/welcome/newspaper-archive.aspx

      They've unlocked every front page of their newspapers, which means you can look through millions of unique newspaper front pages. Continue reading, I have posted some tips for using this new search at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/06/front-pages-free-from-newspaperarchive.html

      Topic (Keyword) "NewspaperArchive.com" in right hand side bar http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

      *******************
      Questions Asked and Answered on AskOliveTree! http://askolivetree.blogspot.com

      * How to Find a Loyalist Ancestor - Colleen's question

      * Finding a Ships Passenger List to USA in 1880 - Gold's question

      * Re Swedish Ships to Newfoundland - Arlene's Question

      * How to Find an Early Ontario Ancestor - Janice's question

      * Guest Genealogist Brian Massey Answers Question about WW1 records - Jim's qustion

      * Introducing Guest Genealogist & Historian Brian Massey

      * Jacques Van Slyke's Death - Murder or Natural Causes? - Don's question

      * Tips on Reading Handwriting on Old Documents - M.R.'s question

      * Help Finding an Ancestor's Death in United Kingdom - Linda's question

      That's it until I have my proper monitor and computer and can actually SEE what I am writing! :-) Remember to submit your puzzling or challenging genealogy questions to me at askolivetree@... and I will do my best to answer them.

      Good Genealogy Hunting