Is it really June already?

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Happy June 1st everyone!

      It's been a pretty miserable cold weekend where I live and it is continuing today. Temps are between 40 and 50, more suitable for late fall! It's been raining almost non-stop but hopefully the sun will come out soon!

      Here's what's new in the Genealogy World

      Using NewspaperArchive.com, a 2-part series complete with images to demonstrate. I'm a huge fan of NewspaperARCHIVE.com and have been playing around with it for a few weeks now. I thought I'd show others some tips I've learned while using the site.

      Start finding ancestors with help from

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/using-newspaperarchivecom-part-1.html

      or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the post title USING NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM

      ***********************

      Ancestors At Rest: The Forgotten Coffin Of Gladys Winifred Fowler
      Source: http://ancestorsatrest.blogspot.com

      An amateur sleuth has solved the mystery surrounding the tragic death of a young New Brunswick woman whose coffin has been lying in a dusty, unclaimed crate at a London cemetery for more than 90 years. Continue reading at http://ancestorsatrest.blogspot.com

      ***********************
      Amsterdam/New Amsterdam: The Worlds of Henry Hudson, presented in collaboration with the New Netherland Project, Albany, and the National Maritime Museum Amsterdam/Nederlands Scheepvaartmuseum Amsterdam, will employ rare 16th– and 17th–century objects, images, and documents from major American and Dutch collections to bring the transatlantic world to life and reveal how Henry Hudson's epic third voyage of exploration planted the seeds of a modern society that took root and flourished in the New World. Read more at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/amsterdamnew-amsterdam-worlds-of-henry.html

      or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the post title

      ***********************
      A treasure trove of First World War photographs was discovered recently in France. Published here for the first time, they show British soldiers on their way to the Somme. But who took them? And who were these Tommies marching off to die? At least 400 glass photographic plates preserving the images were found in the loft of a barn at Warloy-Baillon and cast out as rubbish. In recent months, the plates, some in perfect condition, some badly damaged, have been lovingly assembled and their images printed, scanned and digitally restored by two Frenchmen.

      Continue reading and help identify these photos, at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/lost-ww1-photographs.html

      or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the post title

      ***********************
      Finding Your New Netherland Roots: A Two-Day Workshop on New Netherland Family History. Details at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/finding-your-new-netherland-roots-two.html

      or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the post title

      ***********************
      1881 Canadian Census Images online. Details at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/1881-census-images-online.html

      or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the post title

      ***********************
      On http://askolivetree.blogspot.com questions answered last week were

      * How to find an ancestor on a ship's passenger list to Australia (Answer for Carol)

      * Finding out if an ancestor is African American or Native American (Answer for Genevieve) <== This response plus my linked article on sources was given a shout-out by Randy Seaver of genea-musings (www.geneamusings.com) in his Best of the Genea-Blogs - May 24-30, 2009. Thanks Randy!

      * Determing Average Number of Descendants (Answer for Dianne)

      * Placing Stones on Graves - Where did the Custom Start (Answer for Vince)

      * FInding out if your ancestor was a Home Child (Answer for Jean)

      Don't forget to send your challenging puzzlers to me at askolivetree@... and I will do my best to answer them on AskOliveTree.blogspot.com

      That's it for this week, don't forget you can follow my genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page on Facebook at

      http://facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      In case you can't click on that long URL in email, you can also find the page at http://tiny.cc/RCHYs

      Last but not least, you can read or subscribe to my Blog at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com

      Best of luck in your genealogy hunt!