Long Weekend and Genealogy Updates

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2009
      Hello Everyone

      Well, we've had excitement galore in the past week. I was working at my computer early one morning at my desk which is in front of a large picture window overlooking our back deck and rear of our property. Suddenly a large MOOSE appeared in my line of vision!

      It had come out of the woods and was against the deck railing (about 8 feet from my desk). It wandered around our yard heading towards the donkey field when something spooked it and off it trotted back into the woods. Believe me this is not an everyday occurence. In fact I've never seen a real moose in my life before! They don't usually come this far south apparently.

      Wishing those who celebrate it, a good Memorial Day weekend. Footnote.com is offering a special draw for a life-time membership this weekend. You can read about it at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com

      In the genealogy world, here's what's been going on:

      At http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ there is a 3-part series (complete with graphics) on Using Ireland Civil Registration Indexes to obtain Vital Stats Certificates. It's a rather intimidating process so I thought this might be helpful to those seeking their Irish roots. The series takes you step by step through the full process and should be easy to follow for your own Irish ancestors.

      There is also an announcement about Nova Scotia Black Loyalists Searchable Database online. This is an exciting project for those with black roots in Nova Scotia.

      On May 20th I posted an informational how-to article (complete with graphics) on Ordering English Certificates of Birth, Marriage or Death online. This should help anyone with English ancestors, as the Certificates hold a great deal of valuable genealogical information and are quite reasonable in cost.

      Not to be missed is the 4-part series on Abandoned in Australia, the true story of my 2nd great grandfather facing difficult choices in 1867 after the death of his wife and 6 month old son in Australia. Great great grandfather returned to England with 2 of his 4 children, so the story in our family went, but was it true? And if so, which children did he leave behind, and what happened to them?

      On http://askolivetree.blogspot.com I was honoured to present our first Guest Genealogist - Brenda Dougall Merriman. Since 1979 Brenda has been certified by the Board for Certification of Genealogists (Washington DC) and later served six years as a BCG trustee. In 1996 she founded the group that became the Ontario Chapter, Association of Professional Genealogists (OCAPG). After years of client research, speaking engagements and working with the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, Brenda now concentrates on writing, some continued work with the Jackman Foundation-sponsored Petworth Emigration project/website and volunteering with OCAPG. Brenda is also the author of several award winning books and Ask Olive Tree is honoured to have had her expertise in answering one of my reader's questions.

      Questions answered last week were

      * Guest Genealogist Brenda Dougall Merriman Answers the Question Is a Crown Patent worth Obtaining? (Answer for Jill)
      * Searching an Elusive Ancestor in Ontario after 1929 (Answer for Adrian)
      * What is the National Registration File of 1940 (Answer for Jason)
      * Finding an English Birth Record in Bishop's Transcripts or other Records (Answer for Vesta)
      * Finding a Death at Sea (Answer for Terry)
      * Answering Question about Photos of People on Postcards from England (Answer for Diane)
      * How to Create a Family History Book (Answer for Joan)
      * How to Find Descendants of Ancestor's Siblings (Answer for Martin)
      * Finding records in Kentucky pre 1800 (Answer for Linda)

      Don't forget to send your challenging puzzlers to me at askolivetree@... and I will do my best to answer them on AskOliveTree.blogspot.com

      I added graphics (examples of the forms) and the full list of questions asked on the 1940 National Registration File for Men and Women in Canada. Two of the many questions which may interest genealogists are about naturalization (if naturalized, what year and where?) and immigration (if not born in Canada, when did the person come to Canada?)

      Copies of the orginal forms can be ordered for an ancestor and a link is provided at http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

      Also added an example of the form for women and a list of questions asked on the 1918 National Registration. Sadly the original forms have not been kept but there may be certificates in existence in family papers.

      That's it for this week, don't forget you can follow my genealogy updates on Twitter

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page on Facebook at

      In case you can't click on that long URL in email, you can also find the page at http://tiny.cc/RCHYs