Mother's Day This Sunday

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      Mother's Day for those who celebrate it, is this Sunday. An early Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there. Don't forget to phone or visit your mother and grandmother on that Special Day.

      Last weekend was the Memorial Service for my mother and father. It went very well and everyone seemed to like the Ceremony I planned. My husband and I went to the city the day before so that we could place small Canadian flags on the graves of other ancestors in that cemetery, and a large flag where my mom and dad were interred with my mother's parents. It was cold, rainy and miserable but we found 6 graves for our flags and I left a polished stone at each one we visited.

      Unfortunately I came down with a bad cold that weekend, and have been sick with bronchitis. So I missed last Sunday's newsletter, and also several days of Ask Olive questions and answers. I was pretty much on the couch feeling sorry for myself! There are some challenging questions for Ask Olive that I'm itching to get at :-)

      While wandering around the cemetery, I was struck by the beauty and architecture of many of the tombstones. That led me to thinking about tombstone rubbings and I've written about them and how you might incorporate them into a children's genealogy activity at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/tombstone-rubbings.html

      After the ceremony was over we hunted through two other cemeteries which hold the graves of many of my English ancestors who were among the first group of settlers in a small village in 1831. I was saddened and horrified at the neglect of one of them. You can read about that and see some pictures of the neglected and broken tombstones at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/neglect-of-farnham-cemetery.html

      ****************
      Don't Miss This Site!

      Also, I discovered a new newspaper archive website last week. Maybe everyone but me knew about it but I was very impressed and thrilled by all the information I found on my ancestors in just a couple of days. I am still exploring this site whenever I can find a few minutes in the day, and am still as enthused as when I wrote about it on May 1st at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/newspaper-archive-not-to-be-missed.html

      ****************
      A Fun Project to do with Children

      One of the items I wrote about last week and which I'm still thinking about, is Making a Genealogy Time Capsule. I have a 3-part series on that idea on my Olive Tree Genealogy blog starting at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/making-genealogy-time-capsule.html To read all 3 parts, just click on the Topic "Genealogy Time Capsule" on the right hand side bar. It takes you to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/search/label/Genealogy%20Time%20Capsule and you can read all 3 posts there. The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of making one with my two oldest grandchildren this summer!

      ****************
      Share Memories of Your Loved Ones

      I REMEMBER Uses The Fourth-Most Trafficked Website in the United States To Bring Memories Together Like Never Before. Footnote has started I Remember, a Facebook application aimed at helping connect Facebook users in order to share memories of loved ones. With I Remember, Facebook users can create a meaningful experience to honor those individuals that had an impact on their lives.
      Read more about this at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-remember-uses-fourth-most-trafficked.html or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the announcement posted May 5th.

      ****************
      On http://AskOliveTree.blogspot.com I answered the following questions which were submitted by visitors:

      * Finding out what F stands for in 1851 Canadian Census (asked by Brenda)

      * Using Certificate of Arrivals to Find an Ancestor's Immigration (asked by Bruce)

      * Understanding Dit Names (asked by Patrick)

      * What's the Difference Between a Loyalist and a Tory? (asked by Sheri)

      * Finding an Ancestor's Death (asked by Marilyn)

      I have no answers completed yet for next week's questions but I'll be working on that today and tomorrow. There are some very challenging and interesting ones waiting in my Ask Olive inbox! If you have a question you'd like to submit, send it to askolivetree@... and I'll do my best to answer it

      Earlier in May I volunteered to host the Wellington County Ontario GenWeb site. The previous host did an outstanding job as host and I hope I can measure up to him. The site is at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onwellin/ and I am slowly making some minor alterations and adding some data for Wellington County.

      That's it for this week, don't forget you can follow my genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page on Facebook at

      http://facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      In case you can't click on that long URL in email, you can also find the page at http://tiny.cc/RCHYs

      Til next week - good hunting!