Missing Grandmother Found & New on AskOliveTree

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2009
      Hello everyone

      Last week I took my parents' ashes to Guelph to be interred. It was a miserable cold rainy day and we stumbled around the Cemetery trying to find graves of several of my ancestors.

      Even with a map of the cemetery (it doesn't mark specific locations, only vague general areas) we could only find a few of the ones I wanted to take pictures of. We will try again when we go to the Memorial for my mom and dad next week.

      On the way home it actually SNOWED! Can you believe it?? This weekend has been a mixture - yesterday hot and humid with bad thunderstorms all day. Today it is quite cold and has rained most of the day. I'm not sure where Spring is....

      ***************************
      Last week I answered these questions on Ask Olive Tree http://askolivetree.blogspot.com

      * reese asked about an ancestor's arrival in virginia in 1652
      * Ray asked about his father's Merchant Marine Records
      * Anna asked nformation on the ship Empire State in 1852
      * Brenda sent some information that may help M.R. with the question answered last week on Finding an Immigrant Russia to America
      * Gary asked about finding Ira Totten in New Jersey

      If you have a challenging puzzle, send it to me at askolivetree@... and I'll do my best to answer it!

      ***************************

      The following questions are completed and will be published this coming week on Ask Olive Tree http://askolivetree.blogspot.com I will try to work on others to add to this week's answers.

      Question from Dawn & Answer from Olive Tree: Finding Ships Passenger List to Canada Before 1865

      Question from Teresa & Answer from Olive Tree: Finding German Ancestor's Arrival in USA

      Question from Cynthia & Answer from Olive Tree: Relationship Calculator

      Question from Tracy & Answer from Olive Tree: Finding Ships Passenger List to Canada After 1865 & Finding England Records

      Question from Marilyn & Answer from Olive Tree: Finding an Ancestor's Death

      Last week I talked about what a shock I had when my Grandma's ashes went missing. My Grandmother died in January 1985. She was cremated and then interred in Guelph Ontario (or so I thought until yesterday). I had actually thought she was buried in Owen Sound which is where she died. I know - as a genealogist you'd think I would have known for sure but I made an assumption. Read more at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-missing-grandmother.html

      After a trip to Guelph to inter my mother and father's ashes, I reported success regarding my Grandmother's missing ashes in this story My Missing Grandmother Found! It is at http://tiny.cc/y5zKg

      Other Items in the Genealogy Newsworld are Border Crossings From U.S. to Canada, 1908-1935 online (see http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/border-crossings-from-us-to-canada-1908.html ) This database contains records of immigrants crossing into Canada from the United States between 1908 and 1935. These records consist of border entry lists and Form 30 (individual entry forms). Information recorded in these records may include: name of immigratn, port of arrival, date of arrival, age, gender, country of citizenship, birthplace, marital status, and last permanent address.

      Also Ancestry's new search and hot keys option is pretty cool. Yesterday while using Ancestry.com website, I saw a notice at the top of the main Search Page "Try out the New Ancestry Search". There was a small arrow labelled "Try it" and another labelled "Tour". I played around with this and reported on it (pros and cons) at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/ancestrys-new-search-and-hot-keys.html

      Enjoy and happy hunting!