April News

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2009
      Hello everyone

      Well, I took a little break over Easter and feel much more rested now! I hope everyone had a good holiday.

      After almost 3 months, my mother and father's ashes will finally be interred in Woodlawn Cemetery in Guelph. We're going to have a Memorial Service in May which I'm looking forward to. WE have a very nice spot for them together so they will be going home to rest with other family members.

      Now - here's what is new on Olive Tree Genealogy and her sister sites.

      First - Great news:

      Read about the COMPLETE Canadian Census 1851-1916 Coming Online in June!

      http://tinyurl.com/clrwpx

      This is really exciting. There are bits and pieces of this collection online now but nothing yet for 1861 (except a few transcriptions online). 1871 is only a head of house index online and 1881 is the very badly done transcribed version. This new collection will be indexed with actual images. I can hardly wait!

      ************************

      On my blog last week I posted a Step by Step Tutorial with pictures on how to Use the National Archives UK Website to Obtain Ancestor Documents

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-use-national-archives-uk-website.html

      If that link wraps and isn't clickable for you, just go the main blog page at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the title of the Tutorial

      ************************
      Also on the OliveTreeGenealogy Blog last week:

      Easter Bunny's Family Tree Found!

      Breaking news - yesterday a little girl named Alice was playing in the garden of an old house in England when she fell down a large rabbit hole. Before climbing out she made a unique discovery. In a small wooden box under a pile of rabbit fur hats Alice spotted a yellowed letter. The letter was addressed to "Dear Easter" and signed "Uncle Wiggily", and it provided details of an interesting family tree! Continue reading the letter at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/easter-bunnys-family-tree-found.html or go to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for the title EASTER BUNNY'S FAMILY TREE FOUND
      ************************

      Next week I've got these questions answered so far on on http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/

      * reese asked about an ancestor's arrival in virginia in 1652
      * Ray asked about his father's Merchant Marine Records
      * Anna asked nformation on the ship Empire State in 1852
      * Brenda sent some information that may help M.R. with the question answered last week on Finding an Immigrant Russia to America

      I'll work on more as the week progresses. If you have a challenging puzzle, send it to me at askolivetree@... and I'll do my best to answer it

      ************************

      These are some of the questions asked and answered over the past 2 weeks on http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/

      Search the Canadian Census Records for an Ancestor
      Olive Tree Answer for Donna

      Answer to Question: When did Surnames Begin in New York?
      Olive Tree Answer for Duke

      How to Obtain a Canadian Ships Passenger List after 1936
      Olive Tree Answer for Judy

      FInding an Ancestor Who Disappears from the Records
      Olive Tree Answer for Virginia

      Where to Find Handmarks
      Olive Tree Answer for Jan

      How to Find an Ancestor's Birth Location
      Olive Tree Answer for Wendy

      Help Finding an Immigrant Russia to America
      Olive Tree Answer for M.R.

      HINT: Use the Ethnic Name of Your Ancestor and NOT his Americanized Name when Researching!
      Olive Tree Answer for Norma

      Finding an English Indentured Servant in 17th Century America
      Olive Tree Answer for Russ

      Help to Find a Biological Grandfather
      Olive Tree Answer for Kathi

      Finding Ira Totten in New Jersey
      Olive Tree Answer for Gary

      ************************
      That's it for this week, don't forget you can follow my
      genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page
      on Facebook at

      http://facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      In case you can't click on that long URL in email, you can
      also find the page at http://tiny.cc/RCHYs

      Til next week - good hunting!

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2012
        Hi Everyone

        April's almost half over - is your Spring Cleaning done? I sort of started
        with a big re-organization of my office! It's a huge task and I've been
        blogging about my progress and plans for organizing my genealogy. If you
        are interested you can read about Day 1 and Day at
        http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com

        Also I don't want you to miss out on Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner's Daily Deals.
        Every day until next Tuesday I'll be posting Coupon Codes for you to use if
        you want to take advantage of that day's offer. You can check out the
        coupon for today and see the list of what's coming up by going directly to
        http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.ca/2012/04/flip-pal-mobile-scanner-daily-deal.html
        I love my Flip-Pal and have written several blog posts about how I use it
        and how much I like it. If interested take a peek at
        http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.ca/search/label/Flip-Pal%20Mobile%20Scanner

        I hope you've been having luck in the 1940 census that is now online. Some
        states have been indexed and all state images are up. If you aren't sure
        who has what, there is a list at
        http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.ca/2011/12/three-genealogy-powerhouses-join-forces.html

        I don't have any direct ancestors living in United States in 1940 but I do
        have some collateral branches. I found one of hubs' Massey "cousins" in
        Colorado but am waiting for that state to be indexed to find more. Speaking
        of indexing, have you joined in at FamilySearch.org to lend a hand? It's
        really easy to do and kind of fun!

        Well I am heading back to my office space to keep going through filing
        cabinets to get ready for the big move! Hope your genealogy hunting is
        fruitful!

        Lorine McGinnis Schulze

        Follow genealogy news on my blog
        http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com