April 5th Genealogy News

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      Hi Everyone

      What a beautiful day we are having - sunny (although cold!) and a welcome change from the SNOW we had all day yesterday! I thought this was Spring but apparently not....

      Good news - my son who was deployed to Afghanistan is now home with his wife and children, safe and sound. He did suffer a sudden illness on his way back to Canada and was hospitalized in England briefly, which delayed his homecoming but he's on the mend now.

      Re Genealogy News in the last week --

      1. Petworth Project on Facebook
      The Petworth Project has produced books, an archive, and a website dealing with English emigrants who came to Canada with the help of the Petworth Emigration Committee 1832-1837 and up to 1850 (www.petworthemigrations.com). Continue reading at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/petworth-project-on-facebook.html

      or http://tiny.cc/PcB4x

      2. Hand Marks - Elaborate Symbols that Replace an Ancestor's Signature
      Many of you know that I conduct extensive research into the Dutch who settled in New Netherland (present day New York) in the early 1600s. One of the very interesting items found about these Dutch ancestors is that they used handmarks, or signatory marks. Continue reading at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/hand-marks-elaborate-symbols-that.html or at http://tiny.cc/GMkfy

      3. Finding English ancestors in the National Archives UK
      I've been enjoying searching the National Archives website The National Archives is the official archive of the UK Government and they hold over 10 million records. I found bastardy examinations and Certificates of removal for some of my English ancestors! Continue reading at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/04/finding-english-ancestors-in-national.html or http://tiny.cc/ocFoK

      4. Randy's Choice of BEST new genealogy blog for 2009
      Randy Seaver, blogger extraordinaire of GeneaMusings.com starts his blog post today with

      "I'm going to start highlighting genealogy blogs that add significant value to the genea-blogosphere. This may be a regular weekly feature at Genea-Musings!" Continue reading at http://www.geneamusings.com/2009/03/must-read-genealogy-blogs-ask-olive.html or http://tiny.cc/Gm8hF

      5. I set up a Group called "Pioneers of Arkell Wellington County" on Facebook. In May 1831 a group of Englishmen set out from New York for what would become Arkell Ontario. A list of men in the party includes Thomas and John Arkell, for whom the settlement was named, Lewis King, Thomas King, James Hewer, Frederick Stone, Thomas Stone, John Outin, James Carter, Joseph Dory, Charles Willoughby and Peter Bell. If your ancestor was an early pioneeer involved in Arkell Ontario, please join us at

      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71634086075

      Joining is free but you do have to set up a Facebook Account (also free). It's easy so please drop by and join in!

      *****************

      The following questions have been answered and will be posted next week on AskOliveTree.blogspot.com http://askolivetree.blogspot.com
      I am going to be taking a short break over the Easter Weekend so may not post any answers on April 12 and 13.

      Kathi's question was - I am searching for my biological grandmother.....

      Russ asked - I have an Ancestor who came to Annapolis, Maryland ABOUT 1665.....

      Norma asked - I am searching for the entry date of both Charles, Port of entry, and the
      names of parents of Charles W. Ernenputsch Sr......

      MR writes to ask - I am trying to find an ancestor that emigrated from Russia to England, then England to the US. .....

      Donna asked - I am looking for the history of my mother Anne Or anna Steele.....

      Duke asked - Old Dutch records are found with family names, patronyms, surnames and sometimes a combination of names......

      *****************

      Last week I answered these questions on AskOliveTree.blogspot.com http://askolivetree.blogspot.com

      Sunday, April 5, 2009
      Finding the Identity of Denes Tunisen and wife Sara Hoogland

      Saturday, April 4, 2009
      Finding an Ancestor on a Ship Arriving Canada 1854

      Thursday, April 2, 2009
      Finding an Ancestor in a Colorado orphanage

      Wednesday, April 1, 2009
      Finding a Death at Sea

      Monday, March 30, 2009
      How to find a Roll Number for Native American Ancestry

      Sunday, March 29, 2009
      Finding an ancestor's arrival in American or Canadian ships passenger lists

      ** Don't forget to send in your genealogy or history questions to me at askolivetree@... ! I look forward to helping you solve your genealogy puzzle

      That's it for this week, don't forget you can follow my genealogy updates on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      You can also join the Olive Tree Genealogy interactive page on Facebook at

      http://facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-Genealogy/16127378259

      In case you can't click on that long URL in email, you can
      also find the page at http://tiny.cc/RCHYs

      Til next week - good hunting!