Feb. 8 Update Olive Tree Genealogy & Ask Olive Tree

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2009
      Hello Everyone,

      Here is what's new in the online Genealogy World

      1. New at Library and Archives Canada:

      1891 Canadian Census is available for searching

      http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/index-e.html

      2. Family Search is requesting volunteers to help index the Ontario
      1861 census. See
      http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/home/home.jsf to join this
      project.

      3. Ancestry.com ($) has added more records including

      Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925

      London, England, Marriage Licences, 1521-1869

      See http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ancestry.shtml for links and a
      list of other new genealogy databases

      Next week these questions and my answers will be published on
      http://askolivetree.blogspot.com/

      So far I only have 4 ready to go but I am working on others to fill
      up next week's roster.

      * The Van Sickelen, Van Sickles Family in New Netherland. from Jim
      Tagwords: New York, Van Sickles, Van Valkenburg

      * Looking for Marriage Record to find Parents' Names. from Sandi
      Tagwords: Burd, New Jersey, Orange County New York, Vital
      Statistics

      * When in Doubt Check the Original Record from Carrie
      Tagwords: Gorman, Minnesota, Transcription Errors, Wisconsin

      * Looking for missing uncle in Oklahoma from Jerry
      Tagwords: California, City Directories, Death Records, Foreman,
      Oklahoma, Social Security Death Index, SSDI

      Questions asked and answered last week on
      http://AskOliveTree.blogspot.com

      * Complete Your Research using One Set of Records before
      jumping to the next asked by Karen

      * Finding an Immigrant Ancestor in Census - Be Creative
      with Spelling! asked by Jan

      * When was the Barge Office used for Ships Arriving in New
      York? asked by Linda

      * Finding an unknown first wife's name and death year in
      Minnesota or Iowa asked by Nona

      * How Do I find Miss Rye's Home Children records? asked
      by Kim

      * Looking for Cornelia Van Alstyne asked by Bill

      If you have a genealogy or history question, you can ask for help
      with it by writing to askolivetree@...

      I can't answer every question sent in but I choose one each day to
      respond to.

      These are the posts made to Olive Tree Genealogy blog at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com in the past week:

      * The Joy of Genealogy
      * Genealogy Jewellery
      * The Value of Military Records
      * Another Genealogical Mystery Solved
      * A Photograph Leads to More Genealogy Discoveries
      * Ontario Genealogical Society 2009 Conference
      * Unpacking the Genealogy Treasures

      Enjoy! Remember you can keep current with the Olive Tree Genealogy
      blog by clicking on the FOLLOW THIS BLOG button on the right hand
      side.
      *****************************
      You might have heard the term "social networking". Have you wondered
      what that is? Social Networking sites focus on building online
      communities of people who share similar interests and activities.

      Social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and
      others are becoming a genealogist's mecca. Facebook for example now
      has many genealogy groups and blogs.

      You can become a Fan of Olive Tree Genealogy website on Facebook, by
      going to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Olive-Tree-
      Genealogy/16127378259

      A shorter URL is http://tiny.cc/PNywS
      *****************************
      The AskOliveTree blog and the OliveTreeGenealogy blog are also
      available as Facebook blogs at

      http://apps.facebook.com/blognetworks/blog/ask_olive_tree/
      or http://tiny.cc/FnGy3

      and

      http://apps.facebook.com/blognetworks/blog/olive_tree_genealogy/ or
      http://tiny.cc/atoJ6

      If you're on Twitter, you can find and follow me at
      http://twitter.com/LorineMS

      Enjoy!