Update on AskOliveTree.blogspot.com and Other News

  • Lorine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2009

      I hope your January weather is being kinder to you where you live
      than it is to me. It has been 20 and 30 below zero for several days
      and we have had blizzards, ice storms and high winds. Even for
      Canada this is miserable!

      There hasn't been much time recently for me to add new data to
      http://www.OliveTreeGenealogy.com or any of my other sites as my 93
      year old mother has been in hospital for a few weeks now.

      She underwent surgery for a bowel obstruction and is now facing a
      second operation for post-surgery complications. She was not given
      much hope of pulling through the first operation but has surprised
      everyone with her determination. Right now she is holding her own
      and we are waiting to hear about the second possible surgery.

      ********
      During the first week of my mother's stay in hospital when she was
      not given much hope of lasting more than a few days, I sat up one
      night and wrote her obituary. I wanted to get the facts of her life
      down on paper while my thoughts were relatively clear.

      Trying to write my mother's obit led me to think about the
      importance of finding out things from our loved ones before it is
      too late. I wrote about this and it is called "The Things I Thought
      I Knew But Don't " and can be read at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/01/things-i-thought-i-
      knew-but-dont.html

      You can also see that post plus others written in January by going
      to the January Archives list at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

      The short URL for this is http://tiny.cc/et5TS

      *************
      Other Blog Posts in January include:

      Putting Flesh on the Genealogy Bones
      The Name Game Part 2
      The Name Game
      Tracking the Elusive Fanny Downey McGinnis
      Carnival of Irish Heritage: My Key to Ireland
      Ancestors Walking in a Winter Wonderland
      1911 UK Census Launches Jan. 13/09 - more counties...
      Toronto Ontario 1861 Census Transcriptions
      Are You My Grandfather?
      Happy Birthday to my 3rd great-grandmother Elizabeth Higginson
      To Believe or Not To Believe, That is the Question...
      Hudson's Bay Company Archives
      Ellis Island Missing (Cabin) Manifests, 1897-1903

      See http://tiny.cc/et5TS to read any of the above posts

      *************
      My new project AskOliveTree at http://askolivetree.blogspot.com is
      going well. This is a blog where researchers send me genealogy or
      history questions at askolivetree@... and I respond. I choose
      one question each day to answer and post on the new blog. If you
      asked a question and are wondering if it has been answered yet, here
      is a brief summary of questions asked and answered since Jan. 1st

      You might also find some of the answers helpful in your own research
      even if you are not the person who asked the original question.
      AskOliveTree! Is not a lookup service, my hope is to direct you to
      the sources (online and offline) you need to find your answer.
      However in several of the cases below you'll find that I did find
      the ancestor or the event requested.

      I have included the date of the response, the title, the first name
      of the person asking, and the first part of the original question
      below

      * Saturday, January 17, 2009
      How do I find a ship from France to Canada in 1630s?
      Diane wrote: I'm looking for a ship's passenger list for Le Soleil
      1638 which sailed from France to

      * Thursday, January 15, 2009
      Looking for Robert McMorland on Ships Passenger List Scotland to New
      York
      Diana wrote: Just wondering if you would please do a lookup for
      Robert MCMORLAND

      * Wednesday, January 14, 2009
      Searching in Canada for Englishman
      Bill & Helen wrote: Looking for information on a place called Fort
      Good Hope in the NW Terrortories.

      * Tuesday, January 13, 2009
      Help with Hudson Bay Company Fur Trappers in California
      On Jan. 6/09 Hazel asked:I have been collecting information about
      Fur Trappers that arrived in Northern California prior to the Gold
      Rush.

      * Monday, January 12, 2009
      Looking for Annetje Bradt's Death Date
      Linda wrote: Is there any source for Annteje Barents Bradt's death?

      * Sunday, January 11, 2009
      How to find parents of English Ancestors who came to America
      Mike asked on Jan. 6/09: My great-great-great grandparents are:James
      (no middle name) Gumm

      * Saturday, January 10, 2009
      Where can I find Irish Emigration Lists, 1833-1839
      Don wrote on Jan. 6/09: I have been trying to find William and
      Elizabeth Graham and their son William who immigrated to Canada from
      Ireland in the early 1830s.

      * Friday, January 9, 2009
      Need help with GG-Grandfather Benjamin Cole in MIchigan
      On Jan 5/09 Nancy asked me... Neila Arabelle Cole was born the 14th
      of April 1897 in Michigan

      * Thursday, January 8, 2009
      Trying to find city or village of grandfather's birth
      Joe S. asked me on Jan 4/09 .... I am trying to locate a city or
      village where my grandfather (John Szudarek- now spelled Shudarek)
      came from.

      * Wednesday, January 7, 2009
      Cannot Find Ancestor Arriving USA from Germany
      On 12 Dec 2008 Tony wrote: I am searching the ship on which my
      ancestors arrived in the New World.

      * Tuesday, January 6, 2009
      Finding Russian Jewish immigration in Naturalization Records
      On Jan. 3/09 Irene asked : (Jewish) Grandpa Harry STONE

      * Monday, January 5, 2009
      John & Florinda Kennedy from USA in Leeds Grenville County Ontario
      Tish asked Florinda was married to John Kennedy who died about 1846
      in Leeds-Grenville County. She had a son

      * Sunday, January 4, 2009
      Thomas Fitzsimmons & Harriet Eliza Barnes, USA & Canada
      Dan of Pennsylvania asked I am looking for the birth record and
      ancestors of: Margaret FITZSIMMONS, believed to have been born in
      London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada ca 1847.

      * Sunday, January 4, 2009
      Peter Jamison Ireland to America
      Janet asked... Peter Jamison came to the US in 1866. What part of
      Ireland was he born? What port did he leave from and which port did
      he arrive?

      * Saturday, January 3, 2009
      Daniel Dodge & Elizabeth Sternberg LIncoln & Oxford Counties Ontario
      Adrienne asked:Still looking for the parents of Daniel Dodge, born
      probably around 1775 He married Elizabeth Sternberg

      * Sunday, January 3, 2009
      William McInnes born 1865 Canada Lived Massachusetts
      Betty wrote: Mary Ann KERR, born in the Province of Quebec, married
      a William McINNES who had been born in Canada / English ~1865.

      * Friday, January 9, 2009

      * Wednesday, January 7, 2009

      * Saturday, January 3, 2009

      * Sunday, January 3, 2009
      William McInnes born 1865 Canada Lived Massachusetts
      Betty wrote: Mary Ann KERR, born in the Province of Quebec, married
      a William McINNES who had been born in Canada / English ~1865.

      ********
      And here is a brief list of the questions I have answered and which
      are scheduled for posting in the upcoming week. Remember, the title
      you see is the title I gave the post, it is not the original subject
      of the email sent to me:

      * Looking for an ancestor from Germany to New York to Galveston
      Texas… Question from Yvonne scheduled 1/25/09
      * Why Buy Land and Not Live There? Question from Judy scheduled
      1/24/09
      * Would our ancestors go directly to a location to settle...
      Question from Betty scheduled 1/23/09
      * Using County Clerk Records to Find Answers… Question from Kate
      scheduled 1/22/09
      * What is a Half-Orphan? New York, Orphanages… Question from Nancy
      scheduled 1/21/09
      * Looking for a Death Record in Michigan or Ontario… Question from
      Pat scheduled 1/20/09
      * Looking for German immigrant to USA 1850s… Question from Linda
      scheduled 1/19/09
      * Where can I find the ship Samuel Badger? Question from Sandy
      scheduled 1/18/09

      ********
      Last but certainly not least, I discovered an amazing website that
      is a boon to those with Ontario Canada roots. If you have not been
      there already you may want to visit http://ourontario.ca/

      OurOntario.ca: contains digital collections of libraries, archives,
      museums, historical societies, community groups, government agencies
      and private collections in Ontario, all in one search.

      That's it for today, good luck in your genealogy searches!