October Updates and New Data online

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2008
      Hello everyone

      I hope those who celebrated the Canadian Thanksgiving had a
      wonderful weekend. It was close to 80' where I live and we
      had a couple of gorgeous Fall days. With my son deployed,
      our Thanksgiving was rather quiet. We did hear from him and
      all is well, so that was definitely something to be
      thankful for.

      I've been working hard on a new project (Missing Friends)
      that I think you are going to enjoy... and last night the
      first part of it went live on Olive Tree Genealogy. It's
      free of course, so please drop by and check for your
      ancestor names. Remember, it's an ongoing project so
      bookmark it and drop by every so often to see what new
      years are online.

      I'm pretty excited about this so hear's what it's all
      about: The Missing Friends Project on
      OliveTreeGenealogy.com is extracting the names of those who
      immigrated from UK to America or Canada and who were
      inquired about by family in various 19th Century

      This project can be freely searched at

      Missing Friends Project starts with Lloyd's Weekly
      Newspaper, published in London England and their weekly
      column (1886-1900) called "Long Lost Relatives".

      The fields being extracted are name of person in America or
      Canada who is missing, where they lived in the UK, when
      they left, where they intended going, ship name if known,
      when they were last heard from, where they were living when
      last heard from, who is seeking them and any miscellaneous

      If you have ancestors who settled in America or Canada from
      the mid 1800s to 1900 you may want to have a look

      It's a huge job and right now I'm working on this alone, so
      please be patient as I extract more names from these

      New on AncestorsAtRest.com - Brian has put another Maine
      ledger book online. This great old ledger book was the
      property of Samuel Hinds, of Lincoln County Maine. The
      ledger starts in 1832 and has 169 pages containing hundreds
      of local Lincoln County Maine names.

      They are living in places like Bristol, Bremen, Dresden, St
      George. All the pages from the ledger have been scanned
      and put online so you can browse the entire book freely.

      If you want to take a look for one of your ancestors go to

      To see what announcements and data were put online on
      OliveTreeGenealogy Blog in October, please visit

      If this wraps to 2 lines, go to
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and scroll down
      (way down!) til you see OCTOBER on the right hand side bar,
      then click to view the October files

      So far, we have

      Reading 17th Century Dutch Handwriting - Introduction +
      Parts 1,2,3,4,& 5

      More Loyalist Petitions - an example

      Upper Canada Land Petition for a Loyalist Ancestor

      Membership Lists New Amsterdam (New York City) Dutch
      Reformed Church, Question & Answer

      Cousins Removed versus 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Cousins - - an

      Stephen Peer, Tighrope Walker of Niagara Falls

      October Ancestor Most Wanted - $100.00 Reward
      September Articles
      ml or http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and click
      on SEPTEMBER in the right side bar

      September Articles posted since our last OliveTreeGenealogy
      newsletter are too numerous to list here, but they include

      Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam (New York) ...

      A Guide to Searching the Canadian Ships Passenger ...

      New Canadian Collection Part of International News...

      Ellis Island Phonetic Matching now possible!

      GenSoftReviews Site Launched

      Records Of The Reformed Dutch Church Of Albany, Ne...

      Finding Ancestors in Passport Records

      Cherchez la femme! or How to distinguish between m...

      Understanding Diminuitives in 17th Century New Yor...

      Patronymics - or understanding names that have you...

      What's in a Name?

      O'Kelly Chapel records, North Carolina, online 185...

      Rensselaer County New York Marriages online

      Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

      Kansas Genealogical Society Conference

      Displaying Family Heirlooms - WW1 Medals and Photo...

      Illinois State Genealogical Society Conference

      9 Million Historic Philadelphia Records Now Search...

      Enjoy and feel free to tell others about anything you found
      interesting or worthwhile for other genealogists.

      -- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      * Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
      * Naturalization Records
      * Images of Ships Lists

      otg@... or olivetreegenealogy@...