Ancestor Cards for Children - Great Idea!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 5:35 AM
      Hello everyone,

      Recently I've been mulling over how to present the
      genealogy I've done on our family so that it would grab my
      9 year old grandson's attention. My good friend Illya of
      Genealogy Today suggested I use a baseball or hockey card
      format with one ancestor per card.

      I loved the idea and created cards 6 cm x 9 cm. Each card
      features one ancestor's picture or a picture representing
      that ancestor. The back of each card has ancestor stats -
      their relationship to my grandchildren, date and place of
      birth, date and place of death, spouse's name, parents'
      names and a tiny blurb about that person (hopefully
      something unique or of interest to an 9 year old!)

      After laminating the cards, I presented them to my grandson
      and granddaughter (who is 7) when they came for their
      annual summer week long holiday with us. They loved them
      and not only read every bit of information about each
      ancestor, they began figuring out who was the oldest
      ancestor.... who died at the oldest age... who died at the
      youngest age... which parents went with which ancestor..
      and so on. (math and genealogy combined - what could be
      better?)

      Then they decided to play a game, which we called simply
      "Ancestor Game". They each chose an ancestor card and
      played it, with whoever had the furthest back ancestor
      winning both cards. The next day they begged me to make
      more cards!! I now have 48 cards made for them with many
      more to go. To add even more interest I also created cards
      that were not direct ancestors, but had some small claim to
      fame or something historical or interesting to a child.
      Thank goodness for FTM which tells me if a person is a 3rd
      cousin 5x removed or something else!

      We decided I should also make double cards wherever
      possible, that is, two cards for one ancestor but with
      different photos or representative pictures on each one.
      Then they can play "Go Fish for Ancestors".

      I thought I'd like to share this in case you are looking
      for something to capture your little one's interest,
      because it was fabulous and my grandchildren loved it!

      If you want to see some photos of what we created, just go
      to http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look for
      "Ancestor Cards for Children"

      * Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
      * Images of Ships Lists
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      otg@... or olivetreegenealogy@...