What's New March 1-15

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 8:21 AM
      In this newsletter you can read about:

      Free Irish Records Access
      Upper Canada Land Petitions - Finding an Ancestor
      Land Records in Ontario - Using the CLRI
      Fiske Family Civil War era Photo Album
      Passenger List of Ship Federico from Genova Italy ...
      Russian Immigrants to Canada 1898-1922

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Free Irish Records Access

      New England Ancestors is offering free access for a limited
      time to their Irish databases.

      http://www.newenglandancestors.org/

      These include Atlases, Maps and Reference Materials;
      Census, Tax and Voter Lists; Church Records; Newspapers and
      Periodicals and Societies and Organizations.

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Upper Canada Land Petitions - Finding an Ancestor

      Upper Canada Land Petitions are the actual Petitions for
      land which were submitted in Upper Canada (Ontario).

      View an actual 1797 UCLP (Upper Canada Land Petition) at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2007/03/upper-canada-
      land-petitions-finding.html

      In the petition, the petitioner gives his father's name,
      the date he (and his father) arrived in Upper Canada
      (Ontario) and specifics of his family (wife and children).
      He requests land, and the outside of the folded petition
      reveals if that request was granted (a land grant) and
      under what terms.

      See Upper Canada Land Petition for more help with this
      important genealogical research tool.
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/uclp.shtml

      You should also consult Finding a Loyalist Ancestor for
      help if you have a Loyalist or two in your tree
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/loy/loyfind.shtml

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Land Records in Ontario - Using the CLRI

      Land records are very useful. Originally all land in
      Ontario belonged to the Crown. Although there were small
      areas of settlement in 1763 after the British took over,
      major settlement of Upper Canada began in 1783 and utilized
      Crown Grants. See Ontario Land Records for more
      helphttp://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/land.shtml

      The CLRI (aka Ontario Land Record Index) is an index which
      summarizes land grants from sales of of Crown Land in
      Ontario, from Canada Company sales and leases, and from
      Peter Robinson settlers' grants. It provides invaluable
      clues for further research!

      Find out how to obtain the CLRI and how to interpret your
      findings at Olive Tree Genealogy CLRI Section
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/clri.shtml

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Fiske Family Civil War era Photo Album

      One of my hobbies is buying old (Civil War era) Photo
      Albums and photos. I like to figure out who the family
      members are, do some genealogy research on them and then
      put the albums online. It's an expensive hobby but I love
      it.

      A few days ago I had a nice surprise. A gentleman from New
      Hampshire (unknown to me) sent me a gift of an old Civl War
      album of the Fiske family in New England. There were only
      13 pictures and the photo pages were torn but the photos
      themselves were in good condition and labelled with names.

      I spent a few hours doing some research and discovered that
      the photos all have some relationship to the children of
      David Fiske and Laura Severington. My research and the
      photos (not thumbnails, the full size photos) are all
      online now for descendants to enjoy.

      See Fiske Family Photo Album
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/faces/fiske.htm

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Passenger List of Ship Federico from Genova Italy to Buenos
      Aires, Argentina 30 March 1961

      Just letting everyone know that I have images of the
      Passenger List of Ship Federico from Genova Italy to Buenos
      Aires, Argentina 30 March 1961 online

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/federico.shtml

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      Russian Immigrants to Canada 1898-1922

      The Likacheff-Ragosine-Mathers collection (LI-RA-MA)
      contains documents created between 1898 and 1922 by the
      consular offices of the Russian Empire in Canada.

      The series on passports and identity papers contains about
      11,400 files of Jewish, Ukrainian and Finnish immigrants
      who came to Canada from the Russian Empire.

      The series includes passport applications and
      questionnaires containing general information and is
      searchable online.

      http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/li-ra-ma/index-
      e.html

      -- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      * Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
      * Images of Ships Lists
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      otg@... or olivetreegenealogy@...