Re: Re: [OldRockets] Model Rocketry Magazine

  • twilson@eolusa.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
      Wow! I didn't know they were out there! Thanks Sven and everyone who made this happen.

      The copies posted only go through 1971 though. I would be happy to scan the remaining copies and forward the .pdf files to Sven if someone who has the originals would be willing to make them available.

      -- Tim Wilson

      > From: Dale Windsor <jdwinds@...>
      > Date: 2002/08/30 Fri PM 09:32:56 EDT
      > To: OldRockets@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [OldRockets] Model Rocketry Magazine
      >
      > twilson@... wrote:
      > > Wanted ... Copies of Model Rocketry Magazine published 1968 to 1972 (or
      > > thereabouts). I'm looking for someone with a collection of these
      > > willing either to part with them at a reasonable price or loan them long
      > > enough to let me make scans. I'd like to put the whole collection on a
      > > CD if possible.
      > >
      > > Anyone interested?
      > >
      > > -- Tim Wilson
      > > Titusville, FL
      > > NAR 26384
      > >
      > There online in pdf format at:
      >
      > http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/ModelRocketry/ModelRocketry.html
      >
      > --
      > Dale Windsor
      > 12081 NAR, 1795 TRA, L3
      > President, SoAR - http://www.soar571.com
      > President, KASE - http://KASE.welcome.to
      > Owner, LawnDart Rocketry - http://www.lawndartrocketry.com
      >

      > If you hate this list, then you will certainly not like ScaleRoc, also available through Onelist; and you will absolutely detest the NAR's website, http://www.nar.org

    • vision096
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
        I am in the process of scanning the last five issues for Sven. I
        also have most of the NAR Model Rocketeer up to the Feb.74 issue
        located (3 issues still missing), and will be sending those also in
        the near future. One of the model airplane magazines had a page for
        the NAR newsletter before MRM and I have at least a couple of those
        somewhere. I will start a search for them after I get these other
        projects done.

        Harry

        --- In OldRockets@y..., <twilson@e...> wrote:
        > Wow! I didn't know they were out there! Thanks Sven and everyone
        who made this happen.

        > The copies posted only go through 1971 though. I would be happy to
        scan the remaining copies and forward the .pdf files to Sven if
        someone who has the originals would be willing to make them
        available.

        > -- Tim Wilson
      • jhartma11
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
          Sven will have the remaining issues within two weeks. I was delayed
          in completing the scans due to several personal problems.

          Jim Hartman

          --- In OldRockets@y..., "vision096" <harry1@c...> wrote:

          > I am in the process of scanning the last five issues for Sven. I
          > also have most of the NAR Model Rocketeer up to the Feb.74 issue
          > located (3 issues still missing), and will be sending those also in
          > the near future. One of the model airplane magazines had a page for
          > the NAR newsletter before MRM and I have at least a couple of those
          > somewhere. I will start a search for them after I get these other
          > projects done.
          >
          > Harry
        • vision096
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
            Jim, sounds great. Since you have MRM covered I will start scanning
            on some of the other stuff.

            Harry

            --- In OldRockets@y..., "jhartma11" <jhartma11@h...> wrote:
            > Sven will have the remaining issues within two weeks. I was delayed
            > in completing the scans due to several personal problems.
            >
            > Jim Hartman

          • Steven Rosenstein
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
              I have a fair amount of NAR material from the mid-late 1960's, which I
              may try to scan in and then upload to or burn CD's for some of the
              archival websites. What is the consensus for the best format (.jpg?
              .tiff? etc) and resolution for scanning material for website viewing
              (typical size: 8.5"x11").

              Thanks!
              --- Steve

              vision096 wrote:

              >Jim, sounds great. Since you have MRM covered I will start scanning
              >on some of the other stuff.
              >
              >Harry
              >
              >--- In OldRockets@y..., "jhartma11" <jhartma11@h...> wrote:
              >
              >>Sven will have the remaining issues within two weeks. I was delayed
              >>in completing the scans due to several personal problems.
              >>
              >>Jim Hartman
              >>

              >If you hate this list, then you will certainly not like ScaleRoc, also available through Onelist; and you will absolutely detest the NAR's website, http://www.nar.org

            • Steven Rogers
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 10:40 PM, Steven Rosenstein wrote:

                > I have a fair amount of NAR material from the mid-late 1960's, which I
                > may try to scan in and then upload to or burn CD's for some of the
                > archival websites. What is the consensus for the best format (.jpg?
                > .tiff? etc)

                IMO, the best format for this stuff is PDF with some small web previews.
                Depending on what's on the page, if you cut the resolution down enough
                to make it browser friendly it will be difficult to read the text. If
                you make it readable, it will be huge. You have to download PDF and open
                it in another program which is a little extra step, but that program is
                tailor made for looking at that sort of information.

                SR
              • jhartma11
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                  If you are considering copying a document, then pdf is probably the
                  way to go. The pdf format is widely accepted as a standard for
                  handling documents. The only problem is that the pdf format is
                  proprietary. To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full
                  version of Adobe Acrobat.

                  Photos are a different matter. Tiff, bmp, gif, jpg all have their
                  proponents. If all you want to do is make a CD, then I would suggest
                  using tiff. If you want to post to the web, then I suggest jpg.

                  A thumbnail image that you can click on to bring up the full size
                  document or photo is an excellent idea.

                  If you are planning on distributing the material, you will need the
                  permission of its current owner.

                  Jim Hartman

                  --- In OldRockets@y..., Steven Rogers <srogers1@a...> wrote:

                  > On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 10:40 PM, Steven Rosenstein wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have a fair amount of NAR material from the mid-late 1960's,
                  which I
                  > > may try to scan in and then upload to or burn CD's for some of
                  the
                  > > archival websites. What is the consensus for the best format
                  (.jpg?
                  > > .tiff? etc)
                  >
                  > IMO, the best format for this stuff is PDF with some small web
                  previews.
                  > Depending on what's on the page, if you cut the resolution down
                  enough
                  > to make it browser friendly it will be difficult to read the text.
                  If
                  > you make it readable, it will be huge. You have to download PDF and
                  open
                  > it in another program which is a little extra step, but that
                  program is
                  > tailor made for looking at that sort of information.
                  >
                  > SR
                • Bill Spadafora
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                    At 12:48 PM 9/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >If you are considering copying a document, then pdf is probably the
                    >way to go. The pdf format is widely accepted as a standard for
                    >handling documents. The only problem is that the pdf format is
                    >proprietary. To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full
                    >version of Adobe Acrobat.

                    Several programs including Wordperfect 10 will save files in the PDF
                    format. I believe you can do it with Ghostscript too.

                    --
                    Bill Spadafora http://home.att.net/~billspad or
                    http://www.billsplumbing.com or

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                      Wow, thanks! I'll stand down in my pursuit of MRm for the time being ... :)

                      tw

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                        On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 07:48 AM, jhartma11 wrote:

                        > . . . To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full version
                        > of Adobe Acrobat.

                        Or have a Mac

                        SR
                      • jhartma11
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                          I stand corrected. I am rapidly moving from thinking about to
                          actually installing WordPerfect. I recently heard that even Dell is
                          moving away from MS Word and will be installing WordPerfect.

                          Jim

                          --- In OldRockets@y..., Bill Spadafora <billspad@a...> wrote:

                          > Several programs including Wordperfect 10 will save files in the
                          PDF
                          > format. I believe you can do it with Ghostscript too.
                          >

                          > --
                          > Bill Spadafora http://home.att.net/~billspad or
                          > http://www.billsplumbing.com or
                          > NARTS http://www.nar.org/NARTS/cat.html
                          > billspad@a... bill@b...

                        • Starlord
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                            I use WF for all of my writtings, not only on this intel box, but even on my old
                            Atari TT030 and Atari 1040ST.
                            So I've been a user of it for some time.

                            The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace, it failed.
                            But in the year of the Shadow War it became our last best hope
                            for Victory. The year is 2260, the place is Babylon 5

                            Akumaizer Cattery
                            http://akumaizer.united.net.kg
                            Global Japanese Bobtail Club
                            http://cathobbyist.com/gjbtc/
                            Telescope Buyers FAQ
                            http://home.inreach.com/starlord
                            High Mojave Desert Iris
                            http://desert-iris.netfirms.com/
                            Starlords-ATM Page
                            http://starlords-atm.netfirms.com

                            > I stand corrected. I am rapidly moving from thinking about to
                            > actually installing WordPerfect. I recently heard that even Dell is
                            > moving away from MS Word and will be installing WordPerfect.
                            >
                            > Jim
                          • charles russell
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                              Jim,

                              Hope all is well. Saw Matt Steele and some of the Ohio contingent at the
                              three days I was at NARAM.
                              take care,

                              Chas

                              >From: "jhartma11" <jhartma11@...>
                              >To: OldRockets@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [OldRockets] Re: Model Rocketry Magazine
                              >Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:01:22 -0000
                              >
                              >Sven will have the remaining issues within two weeks. I was delayed
                              >in completing the scans due to several personal problems.
                              >
                              >Jim Hartman
                              >

                              >--- In OldRockets@y..., "vision096" <harry1@c...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I am in the process of scanning the last five issues for Sven. I
                              > > also have most of the NAR Model Rocketeer up to the Feb.74 issue
                              > > located (3 issues still missing), and will be sending those also in
                              > > the near future. One of the model airplane magazines had a page for
                              > > the NAR newsletter before MRM and I have at least a couple of those
                              > > somewhere. I will start a search for them after I get these other
                              > > projects done.
                              > >
                              > > Harry

                            • flapdoodle
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 3, 2002
                                Or try your hand at Ghostscript if you're a free-software-loving Scrooge
                                like me...

                                On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 07:48 AM, jhartma11 wrote:

                                > . . . To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full
                                > version
                                > of Adobe Acrobat.

                                Or have a Mac

                                SR

                                If you hate this list, then you will certainly not like ScaleRoc, also
                                available through Onelist; and you will absolutely detest the NAR's
                                website, http://www.nar.org

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • dk54321
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  Does Ghostscript let you create pdf files, or just read them?

                                  --- In OldRockets@y..., "flapdoodle" <flapdoodle@m...> wrote:
                                  > Or try your hand at Ghostscript if you're a free-software-loving
                                  Scrooge
                                  > like me...
                                  >
                                  > > . . . To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full
                                  > > version
                                  > > of Adobe Acrobat.
                                  >
                                  > Or have a Mac
                                • dk54321
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    Does Ghostscript let you create pdf files, or just read them?

                                    --- In OldRockets@y..., "flapdoodle" <flapdoodle@m...> wrote:
                                    > Or try your hand at Ghostscript if you're a free-software-loving
                                    Scrooge
                                    > like me...
                                    >
                                    > > . . . To produce a pdf document, you will have to buy the full
                                    > > version
                                    > > of Adobe Acrobat.
                                    >
                                    > Or have a Mac
                                  • Gregg C Levine
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 4, 2002
                                      Hello from Gregg C Levine
                                      Yes. To all of them. Ghostscript will allow you to do everything. To
                                      create a PDF file, you instruct it to print into a pdfwriter device
                                      driver. But here's the thing, you need to create a PS file, first, and
                                      you can do that with Ghostscript. But I'm not an expert.
                                      -------------------
                                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                                      "Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 5, 2002
                                        Ghostscript itself can create the PDF file. You don't even need a
                                        pdfwriter. That's not to say that Ghostscript is quite as versatile and
                                        configurable as something like Acrobat - but it's worth a try.

                                        Yes. To all of them. Ghostscript will allow you to do everything. To
                                        create a PDF file, you instruct it to print into a pdfwriter device
                                        driver. But here's the thing, you need to create a PS file, first, and
                                        you can do that with Ghostscript. But I'm not an expert.
                                        -------------------
                                        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                                        "Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi
                                        (This company dedicates this E-Mail to General Obi-Wan Kenobi ) (This
                                        company dedicates this E-Mail to Master Yoda )

                                      • Daniel Wolman
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 18, 2004
                                          Just curious...Anyone out there have any extra of the early issues of Model
                                          Rocketry Magazine? I need 2-3 of the early (Nov '68-mid '69) issues to
                                          complete my collection - and may be able to trade other issues if needed. I
                                          have been trying to complete a collection for about 10 years, but seem to
                                          have run out of luck - so any help would be appreciated.

                                          Please email me back privately if interested in trading or selling...

                                          Thanks in advance,

                                          Dan Wolman
                                          dwolman@...
                                        • argltd2002