Re: Range box was RE: [OldRockets] Re: Great Website Here! And on topic stuff

  • Scott D. Hansen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4 5:33 PM
      At 07:18 PM 08/04/2002, you wrote:
      >Conventional wisdom is that short of very poor storage conditions, most
      >black powder motors are good for decades, maybe longer. The biggest
      >concerns cracks and separation of the propellant grain due to extreme
      >temperature cycling. I've personally used Estes and Centuri motors that
      >were 15 or more years old with no problems. Of course there are exceptions,
      >the most obvious being the Estes E motors, which became dangerously unusual
      >within about a year or so of manufacture.

      As long as BP motors are stored in a cool, dry area, they'll last an
      extremely long time. I launched a few birds a couple years ago with some
      circa '67 & '68 motors. They worked as good as new.

      Scott D. Hansen
      NAR# 73268 SR WOOSH NAR Section #558 http://www.wooshrocketry.org
      Visit Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe to buy & sell any rocketry related items.
      http://www.rocketshoppe.com
      True Modeler's Rocket Kits
      http://www.truemodeler.com
    • Gregg C Levine
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4 6:01 PM
        Hello from Gregg C Levine
        Actually gang, I was not thinking of an AMRAAM, I was thinking of a
        different fire and forget missile. I was thinking of the Phoenix. That
        design is perhaps the best thing to happen to naval aviation, since the
        jet fighter, and the Sidewinder. Oh and before any of you grouch, I am a
        fan of both forms of military aviation, air force, and naval, so I can
        appreciate both. So.... While each of you is indeed correct regarding
        those engines he found roosting in his range box, I'm nearly correct in
        this reference.
        -------------------
        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
        "Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

        And on
        > topic stuff
        >
        > On the other hand, Estes motors are (if I recall correctly) some sort
        of
        > compressed black-powder-based propellant, which probably doesn't age
        > nearly so easily as AMRAAM fuel. Besides, what's the worst thing that
        > could happen? A misfire's all I can think of.

      • flapdoodle
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 6:34 PM
          I suppose that's a corollary of Murphy's law: there's always a *worse*
          worst-case scenario!

          >On the other hand, Estes motors are (if I recall correctly) some sort
          >of compressed black-powder-based propellant, which probably doesn't age

          >nearly so easily as AMRAAM fuel. Besides, what's the worst thing that
          >could happen? A misfire's all I can think of.

          BP motors that are heat cycled put on quite a spectacular CATO show.
          They
          spew burning propellant from the top looking like a roman candle. 9
          times
          out of 10 the motor mount is destroyed. If you're flying in a dry area,

          the burning propellant WILL start a fire.

          Scott D. Hansen
          NAR# 73268 SR WOOSH NAR Section #558 http://www.wooshrocketry.org
          Visit Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe to buy & sell any rocketry related items.
          http://www.rocketshoppe.com True Modeler's Rocket Kits
          http://www.truemodeler.com

          If you hate this list, then you will certainly not like ScaleRoc, also
          available through Onelist; and you will absolutely detest the NAR's
          website, http://www.nar.org

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • vision096
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5 11:37 AM
            --- In OldRockets@y..., "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@w...> wrote:
            > Hello from Gregg C Levine
            > Harry before you even think of using those old devices, check to
            see if
            > they have a "Use before this date" date

            Gregg, No way am I going to use those old motors! I might build
            something simple to try one of the D12's and see what happens at some
            point. I do love a good CATO!

            > Oh, and do you have a favorite rocket design?

            My favorite rocket design is the Saturn V. As for the model rockets
            something along the lines of the Starship Excalibur. If I get back to
            building I plan on cloning the Excalibur, and a Mars Snooper as a
            warm up, then start on a Saturn V. That is if I ever get my scratch
            built airplane done.

            > I don't know what the official name is for the
            > AMRAAM. Name mind you, not a number designation

            I did a little internet search and I believe they are called
            slammers. Here is a link with some AMRAAM fun facts:
            http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/aim-120.htm

            Harry