Centuri Rocket Rack

  • quakenquisp
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
      To get off of the topic of Yahoo's weird editing, I want to report my
      current project.

      For a long time I've wanted some way of displaying my rockets that
      didn't involve gluing a spent motor casing to a block of wood. I have
      done this and it works, but it doesn't look terrific. Then, a while
      back, I came on the Centuri Rocket Rack that was a stand that you
      assembled from pieces die-cut in heavy card stock. You can see the
      parts and the assembly instructions on JimZ if you open the plans for
      one of the Centuri Super Kits. The Rocket Rack was included with
      those and later sold separately. I love the look of it since it looks
      like a launch pad, but I wasn't really interested in a card stock
      version.

      What I've done is download the tiff file into Corel Draw and using an
      autotrace utility, have converted it to vector graphics. I have been
      working on cleaning up and redrawing the graphics for a couple of
      days and in the end I'll send the finished Corel file to Bill at
      Balsa Machining Service to laser cut the stand out of 1/16" basswood
      sheet! In order to do this, Bill opens the Corel file and exports it
      as an autocad .dfx file. My version of Corel Draw doesn't have
      the .dfx filter so Bill will do that part. One of the things I've
      been doing while redrawing the parts is to realign them on the sheet
      with a mind to wood grain direction. Obviously if the things are die
      cut from card stock, there is no grain direction which explains why
      they can group them as you see in the tiff file to maximize material
      usage and reduce cost.

      I contacted Bill already and I think he's interested, but he is at
      NARAM this week and I don't expect to hear from him for a bit longer.
      This may take some time to work out and I'll have to eat the
      conversion and setup cost, but once I find out how much these are for
      a sheet, I'll report it here and see if anyone else is interested. I
      think I'll see if Bill will want to offer this as a stock item.

      I'll keep you posted.

      Scott McCrate NAR 71680
    • Craig McGraw
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
        Scott,

        I built one of these in 1/8" balsa, but it really
        needs the rigidity of a hardwood to work.

        Basswood might look better if it gets stained
        and seal-coated, but you might also be able to do
        it in 1/16" Aircraft-grade plywood (or 1/8" lite-ply)
        and minimize the material waste.

        Using the lite-ply would make it easier to knock
        out a larger number of racks at one time, not to
        mention making each one a bit less expensive...

        The plans from the USS America have the assembly
        sequence for the rack, and it describes a "support
        tube" and a "mount tube" for the rocket to attach
        to. We still get back to a wood dowel and a spent
        casing in the long run (blatant Eagles plug...)...

        Craig McGraw

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
          --- In OldRockets@y..., "Craig McGraw" <bayshore@m...> wrote:
          > Scott,
          >
          > I built one of these in 1/8" balsa, but it really
          > needs the rigidity of a hardwood to work.

          That's what I figured. I'm considering 3/32 instead of 1/16.

          > Basswood might look better if it gets stained
          > and seal-coated, but you might also be able to do
          > it in 1/16" Aircraft-grade plywood (or 1/8" lite-ply)
          > and minimize the material waste.

          Basswood is my choice because of the tight wood grain. You can fine-
          sand the sheets before punching/cutting out the parts, assemble,
          spray with Krylon white primer and fine sand again and then shoot it
          with Krylon Banner Red for a really clean and smooth launch pad look.
          That's what i'm going for here. I don't mind the extra work for the
          final effect.

          > Using the lite-ply would make it easier to knock
          > out a larger number of racks at one time, not to
          > mention making each one a bit less expensive...

          I haven't used lite-ply before, but once I wrangle with BMS over the
          price and material, that is a possible solution.

          > The plans from the USS America have the assembly
          > sequence for the rack, and it describes a "support
          > tube" and a "mount tube" for the rocket to attach
          > to. We still get back to a wood dowel and a spent
          > casing in the long run (blatant Eagles plug...)...

          I know that the dowel and tube (or spent engine) are still in the
          equation, but they're hidden in the end of the rocket anyway. I still
          want something more interesting than a block of wood. I have one of
          those on my shoulders already and it hasn't done me much good at
          all! ;0)

          Scott McCrate, NAR 71680
        • Scott D. Hansen
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
            At 10:19 AM 08/01/2002, you wrote:

            >I contacted Bill already and I think he's interested, but he is at
            >NARAM this week and I don't expect to hear from him for a bit longer.
            >This may take some time to work out and I'll have to eat the
            >conversion and setup cost, but once I find out how much these are for
            >a sheet, I'll report it here and see if anyone else is interested. I
            >think I'll see if Bill will want to offer this as a stock item.
            >
            >I'll keep you posted.
            >
            >Scott McCrate NAR 71680

            Sounds like a cool item, Scott. Please keep us posted.

            Scott D. Hansen
            NAR# 73268 SR WOOSH NAR Section #558 http://www.wooshrocketry.org
            Visit Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe to buy & sell any rocketry related items.
            http://www.rocketshoppe.com
            True Modeler's Rocket Kits
            http://www.truemodeler.com
          • billeichelberger
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
              I copied the pattern for the rocket rack last year when I was making
              plans to clone the E.S.S. Raven. I hated the idea of cardstock also,
              but I planned to substitute (blatant Who plug) plexiglass instead. I
              haven't given up on the idea, in fact I just went through the pattern
              again a few weeks back. Plexiglass, like plywood, would take the
              concern regarding grain direction out of the equation. The downside
              is that the plexiglass can be a pain to work with when sawing is
              necessary.
              Another project I've meant to take on for a long time is a mobile
              rack that I can set up in the back of the van to transport my rockets
              to and from launches. Plexiglass might be a good place to start for
              something like that also. It seems that most of the damage my
              rockets sustain happens in transport or storage rather than flying
              (blatant Badfinger plug.) I'm not organized to use the Tupperware
              and packing peanut method that some have had success with and my
              rockets show it. Paint rubs, broken fins and bent tubes are bad, but
              when the rocket has yet to see it's maiden flight, it's that much
              worse.
            • quakenquisp
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
                --- In OldRockets@y..., "billeichelberger" <bill_eichelberger@f...>
                wrote:
                > I copied the pattern for the rocket rack last year when I was
                making
                > plans to clone the E.S.S. Raven. I hated the idea of cardstock
                also,
                > but I planned to substitute (blatant Who plug) plexiglass instead.
                > haven't given up on the idea, in fact I just went through the
                pattern
                > again a few weeks back. Plexiglass, like plywood, would take the
                > concern regarding grain direction out of the equation. The
                downside
                > is that the plexiglass can be a pain to work with when sawing is
                > necessary.

                I love the idea of plex. That would make a really nice stand. You're
                right about working with it though. Especially with all the inside
                cutouts. Can you laser cut that stuff?

                > Another project I've meant to take on for a long time is a mobile
                > rack that I can set up in the back of the van to transport my
                rockets
                > to and from launches. Plexiglass might be a good place to start
                for
                > something like that also.

                Possible. It would look nice, but for the purpose of transporting
                your birds, a well thought out wooden or even corrugated cardboard
                structure could work well enough. I can envision a terraced or
                stepped platform with holes that you can put small rockets nose down
                into or dowels to support larger birds.

                It seems that most of the damage my
                > rockets sustain happens in transport or storage rather than flying
                > (blatant Badfinger plug.) I'm not organized to use the Tupperware
                > and packing peanut method that some have had success with and my
                > rockets show it. Paint rubs, broken fins and bent tubes are bad,
                but
                > when the rocket has yet to see it's maiden flight, it's that much
                > worse.

                More rockets are damaged in storage and transport. Amazingly fragile
                things when you consider the speeds and forces they can endure. I use
                the Rubbermaid (sure like to meet her :0) bins but I have found that
                packing peanuts love to explode out of boxes in even a light breeze,
                so even though I use them, they're often more hassle than they're
                worth.

                Scott McCrate
              • doswonk
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Another good packing material: old dry cleaning bags--nice and
                  fluffy, and you have a ready source for emergency parachute
                  material.

                  I haven't actually tried this, but shredded paper that's gone
                  through a paper shredder might be good, too. Only, if you work
                  for the DOD or the CIA, be careful what shredded paper you use
                  {:-)

                  Lawrence

                  --- In OldRockets@y..., "quakenquisp" <smccrate@c...> wrote:

                  > More rockets are damaged in storage and transport. Amazingly
                  fragile
                  > things when you consider the speeds and forces they can
                  endure. I use
                  > the Rubbermaid (sure like to meet her :0) bins but I have found
                  that
                  > packing peanuts love to explode out of boxes in even a light
                  breeze,
                  > so even though I use them, they're often more hassle than
                  they're
                  > worth.
                  >
                  > Scott McCrate
                • rocketry_preservation_society
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
                    Hello All, This is Jim Pierson with the Rocketry Preservation
                    Society.
                    As I am a Union Carpenter I have worked with plexiglass in the
                    past, so if you have a minute I'll tell you everything I know. :-)

                    When cutting straight edges give yourself an extra 1/16" and
                    clamp plexi between two straight boards. Score with carbide tip
                    scoring tool and then carefully snap off with evenly distributed
                    pressure. Belt sand edge flush to straight edge. Also the cut edge
                    will be clouded and can be sanded with 320, 400, then 600 and the
                    edge will become clear again. You might also try a small grinding
                    bit or wheel in a dremel to polish the edges clear to save time.
                    Contour cutting can be done best with a dremel or roto zip with
                    a cutting drill bit. Also you can use a jig saw with a cardide edge
                    that is used to cut ceramic tile. Leave the protective paper on the
                    plexi to keep from scratching it when cutting. You can also put
                    masking tape on the bottom of the jig saw to pad it.
                    Adhesives for gluing plexi can be found at most Ace Hardware
                    stores made by Plaskolite. Its a Acrylic Cement for plexiglass and
                    its about $3 a tube.
                    I found a couple of links that might help you out as well. I
                    really look forward to seeing the finished display stand when you are
                    done, so keep in touch. JP
                    *
                    http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/HabitatArticles/00/l/00BA28E3F7.html
                    * http://www.avsands.com/HowTo/howtocutplexi_vie_av.htm

                    Also I have a section on protective storage boxes at R.P.S.
                    called Storage and Protection.
                    I made these boxes from cardboard and they work very well. Thirty of
                    my built rockets make the trip from here in Washington State to
                    Toole, Utah to NSL 2001 undamaged, dust free, and ready to go. Try
                    them out.
                    http://groups.msn.com/ROCKETRYPRESERVATIONSOCIETY/storageandprotection
                    .msnw

                    James Pierson Manager
                    Rocketry Preservation Society
                    http://groups.msn.com/ROCKETRYPRESERVATIONSOCIETY/_whatsnew.msnw?
                    pgmarket=en-us
                  • kurt_schachner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 3, 2002
                      --- In OldRockets@y..., "rocketry_preservation_society" <
                      rocketry_preservation_society@y...> wrote:

                      > Hello All, This is Jim Pierson with the Rocketry Preservation
                      > Society.

                      This is good information Jim. Thanks for posting it.

                      > As I am a Union Carpenter

                      Well, I won't hold that against you in this group, Jim ;-)
                    • doug holverson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                        I'm going to bounce the idea of printing generic-type rocket decals off
                        Fishman. Any style (roll patterns, etc.) of these things that you want to
                        see? Any Ninfinger catalog pages or the like that you want me to point him
                        to?

                        BTW- Dyed some RGs and BGs orange and painted my newest pop-pod Allis
                        Chalmers...

                        DGH
                      • doug holverson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                          They just keep getting unburied! Found the Centuri Super-C tech report,
                          which is really a promo flyer. Coming to a website to you! Make you Orions,
                          Skylabs, and Super Fleet fly higher!

                          Now does anybody wanna buy some old Mac Addicts back to 1996 or any dirty
                          apazines? If not, I'm going start leaving the Mac Addicts laying the Compaq
                          employee lounge.

                          DGH
                          "The Exponential PowerPC chip should let new Macs run at least twice the
                          megahertz of anything from Intel by 1998!"
                        • doug holverson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                            Still cleaning the house (I hate trying to organize stuff that refuses to be
                            organized!) and found a stash of Centuri newspaper clip art that I got from
                            Grant Boyd way back when. More scanning for Ninfinger.

                            Also found some materials used when I did some art for Apogee kit cards.
                            This actually precedes the Holverson Designs kit cards by a few months.

                            Also found some forgotten fragments of failed Zoomie prototypes and other
                            barely remembered prototypes from the '97-'98.

                            BTW- Very early in Zoomie development, it was called originally called
                            Kitty. This also included an obvious Hummingbird knock-off or two.

                            Got two boxes full of collected and assorted PNCs and BNCs.

                            So does anybody wanna buy my recently uncovered Hentai stash? >:)

                            DGH
                            "Kwik Kits! Almost ready to fly!"
                          • doug holverson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                              Does anybody have any thoughts on the PNCs in the Orbital Transport release?
                              I kind of like the stubby Orbiter PNC because it reminds me of the old
                              Centuri PNC-70, but it probably isn't. I hope that Estes soon shuffles it
                              into their PNC-20 assortments. If not, there's always the 1-800 number.

                              Does anybody know where Custom gets their PNCs? I don't think it's Estes.

                              I'm cleaning out my old house and getting it ready for rent and found the
                              Spring and Fall '80 Centuri Club catalogs, the 1981 New Products Catalog,
                              and the circa '77 Centuri Flying Saucer pamphlet. I'm going to start
                              scanning these and UL them to Ninfinger if he doesn't already have them.
                              However some of these are water damaged and I'm wondering if there's any
                              trick to getting dried together pages apart without damaging them.

                              I'm also still looking for my middle '20s Pop Sci article penned by Robert
                              Goddard, so I can send a copy to Peter Alway.

                              DGH

                              PS: Wow! Bill Stine was the head of their Direct Mail Program in 1980!
                            • slotrod65
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                                I really like some of the old generic designs from the 1970 ESTES
                                Catalog:

                                http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/70est120.html

                                (page 120/121)

                                Checkers, roll patterns, scallops or flames spaced to match when
                                wrapped around BT-20, BT-50, BT-60 would be great. Also the "Gold
                                Mine Special" which contains decals for "Lettering, Vents, hatches,
                                rivets, and more." Anything like this would be great.

                                With these decals, anyone can produce garish models just like those
                                pictured on the top of page 120!! I especially like the Ranger/Bertha
                                in Blue and Lime with a couple if Air Force Stars and Bars added on
                                just for the heck of it!!

                                Seriously, generic decals spaced to wrap around body tubes would
                                allow for some neat sport models. It took me all of last week to
                                spray/mask the 'traditional' white an black roll pattern on my yellow
                                Big Bertha.

                                Fred
                                (slotrod)

                                BTW: I keep having to scratch out the total on that check I am
                                writing.... :^)

                                --- In OldRockets@y..., doug holverson <dholverson@c...> wrote:
                                > I'm going to bounce the idea of printing generic-type rocket decals
                                off
                                > Fishman. Any style (roll patterns, etc.) of these things that you
                                want to
                                > see? Any Ninfinger catalog pages or the like that you want me to
                                point him
                                > to?
                                >
                                > BTW- Dyed some RGs and BGs orange and painted my newest pop-pod
                                Allis
                                > Chalmers...
                                >
                                > DGH
                              • Steven Rogers
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                                  On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 03:30 PM, slotrod65 wrote:

                                  > Checkers, roll patterns, scallops or flames spaced to match when
                                  > wrapped around BT-20, BT-50, BT-60 would be great.

                                  There's lots of stuff like this for model airplanes, but naturally it
                                  won't be perfectly spaced. There are check patterns in lots of colors,
                                  like red over clear, black and yellow, etc. There are also solid colors
                                  that you can cut up to make patterns. You can get these in waterslide or
                                  vinyl form. Don't be shocked by "vinyl" - they're very thin and don't
                                  look bad at all on a model that's Broadsword sized.

                                  SR
                                • slotrod65
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                                    Steve,
                                    I have not been able to locate solid decal sheets or checker
                                    patterns. Do you have any sources you could share, or
                                    producer's/dealer's names?

                                    Fred

                                    --- In OldRockets@y..., Steven Rogers <srogers1@a...> wrote:

                                    > On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 03:30 PM, slotrod65 wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Checkers, roll patterns, scallops or flames spaced to match when
                                    > > wrapped around BT-20, BT-50, BT-60 would be great.
                                    >
                                    > There's lots of stuff like this for model airplanes, but naturally
                                    it
                                    > won't be perfectly spaced. There are check patterns in lots of
                                    colors,
                                    > like red over clear, black and yellow, etc. There are also solid
                                    colors
                                    > that you can cut up to make patterns. You can get these in
                                    waterslide or
                                    > vinyl form. Don't be shocked by "vinyl" - they're very thin and
                                    don't
                                    > look bad at all on a model that's Broadsword sized.
                                    >
                                    > SR
                                  • Steven Rogers
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                                      On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 03:49 PM, slotrod65 wrote:

                                      > Steve,
                                      > I have not been able to locate solid decal sheets or checker
                                      > patterns. Do you have any sources you could share, or
                                      > producer's/dealer's names?

                                      I've used up the decals I had - they were in the R/C car section of a
                                      hobby shop. They have numbers, letters, flames, checks - just about
                                      anything you could want for a car. Most are fairly easily adapted.

                                      SR
                                    • olmeanolmanike
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 3, 2002
                                        > I'm cleaning out my old house and getting it ready for rent and
                                        found the
                                        > Spring and Fall '80 Centuri Club catalogs, the 1981 New Products
                                        Catalog,
                                        > and the circa '77 Centuri Flying Saucer pamphlet. I'm going to start
                                        > scanning these and UL them to Ninfinger if he doesn't already have
                                        them.
                                        > However some of these are water damaged and I'm wondering if
                                        there's any
                                        > trick to getting dried together pages apart without damaging them.

                                        Try steaming them apart.
                                      • doug holverson
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 9, 2002
                                          Went to the Omaha "Field of Wings" yesterday, sort of a open house for the
                                          mod roc and RC plane people, to fly some model rockets yesterday. Too breezy
                                          for my tastes so I didn't fly my Farside clone, the second Swinger II
                                          prototype ("Look, Ma, no cheesy foam!"), and some other BG prototypes. The
                                          rest of the Omaha club was flying rockets from 1/4 to G power,

                                          I did fly my original, slightly beat up Evel Knievel Skycycle on an A3-4T.
                                          Somewhat like the original wobbly flight with the chute saving it from
                                          splattering at the last second. For some reason this thing has taken to
                                          swapping ends after burn-out. Anybody want to conjecture why?

                                          Also flew my Rock-A-Chute Mark II clone on an A3-4T and it drifted a long
                                          way with just a little four cornered chute. I tried to give this rocket a
                                          '50s hobbyist look, with a yellow BT, two red fins, a black fin, the stubby
                                          rounded NC painted a non-matching metal-flake maroon to mimic that infamous
                                          OOP pencil sharpener (if I had to do it over again that NC might be
                                          pea-green or cerulean), and that four cornered chute. Although I'm not sure
                                          to pink garbage bags to cut out for four cornered chutes existed way back
                                          when Studebakers had tail fins
                                          (http://showcase.netins.net/web/flexia/golden.jpg)

                                          Also flew my Super Flea and Javelin clones, both painted Allis Chalmers
                                          orange and Gleaner black, due to childhood tradition, and powered by
                                          1/4A3-3Ts. Both flew nice, but I'm wondering if the Javelin really needs
                                          that nose weight. Will fire up VCP some time and check it out.

                                          Over on the RC side, the show was stolen by a middle aged rich boy flying an
                                          over-sized, over-powered aerobatic plane doing that guided propeller school
                                          of aerobatics. It was impressive.

                                          DGH
                                        • doug holverson
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 9, 2002
                                            PS: Also bought a MRC Hornet kit (OOP, knock of the Alpha III) from a
                                            member, for only $5.00. Very seriously thinking about building it.

                                            DGH
                                          • slotrod65
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 10, 2002
                                              I located a decal source today. I saw one or two sets in my local
                                              hobby shop, and found the following website on the web:

                                              http://www.autographics-decals.com/Listing/listing.html

                                              These are mostly scaled to 1/24 scale cars, but they have stripes,
                                              checkers, an lettering sets:

                                              stripes

                                              http://www.autographics-
                                              decals.com/Listing/Stripe_Kits/stripe_kits.html

                                              checkers
                                              http://www.autographics-decals.com/Listing/800-Unique/800-1-6/800-7-
                                              12/800-13-18/800-31-36.html

                                              letters: