RE: [OldRockets] Mach 10

  • Switenky, Shawn
    Message 1 of 40 , May 9, 2007
      I've been working on a few articles for Sport Rocketry (forever, now...
      I wonder if I'll ever have them done) for recreating and sometimes
      fixing old designs. The Mach 10 is one of them.

      Basically, I glue the elevator and the elevator reinforcements together
      but not to the vertical stabilizer. Instead, I hinge the elevator
      assembly to the vertical stabilizer and use hooks and elastic bands to
      pull the elevator assembly down to the 'normal' position where Centuri
      would have had you glue it.

      Then you take some polystyrene tubing about the same width as the
      vertical stabilizer and glue it to the leading edge. On one end, the
      tubing ends flush with the inner edge of engine mount tube (it goes
      through the main body tube and the engine mount tube.) The other end of
      the tubing ends about 3/4 up the leading edge of the vertical
      stabilizer.

      You run music wire down through the tube. It attaches to the vertical
      stabilizer assembly with a waferglass control horn. The other end
      extends into the engine mount tube. You then build a 'piston' that
      slides freely in the engine mount tube. It's anchored with some Kevlar
      to the clay filled nose cone.

      For flight, the piston is positioned so that the music wire 'pushrod'
      rests on the piston. This keeps the elevator at 'neutral.' When the
      ejection charge fires, the piston and nose cone are tossed overboard,
      and the elastic bands pull the elevator to the 'full up' position. It
      can now move to this position because the piston is no longer holding
      the pushrod.

      It sounds more complicated than it is. I've built 3 like this now and
      they all work fine. I keep flying them until they fly away.

      Shawn

      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 4, 2007
        --- mikaelc <mikaelc@...> wrote:

        > Can you really say "unfettered" on this
        > group? Sounds like
        > something bondage-related ..

        Wouldn't that be a TRF restriction, like knob?

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/