Re: Centuri Space Shuttle!!

  • Drew Tomko
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, doug holverson <dholverson@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 27, 2007, at 9:40 PM, David Montgomery wrote:
      >
      > > Love that pic of the Centuri Space Shuttle on the front page!
      >
      > How well does it glide or fly with all that heavy paint on it?
      >
      > DGH

      It glides fantastically! First, it's the BFTPR clone with vacuum formed nose cones, which
      weigh nothing. Second, as far as finishing, I actually kept it light. Both have one rubbed
      in coat of Elmer's Fill 'N Finish on the balsa only; I didn't bother with the BT spirals. Each
      got two coats of paint, Krylon yellow for the orbiter and Dupli-Color white for the booster,
      with no primer. The second coat was fairly thick, but I saved weight with no primer. It
      flew 3 times before the booster took the detour into the creek. The first flight had a
      downward ejection and wasn't great, but the second two were beautiful, both on C5-3s.
      The booster has a nice flat, slow glide, and the glider is faster, but still stays in the air a
      decent amount of time. In the last flight they flew in formation about 10 seconds before
      the booster turned right to ditch. Jim Flis has a shot of the boost somewhere on the
      Fliskits site.

      I have to get the new booster sanded and painted . . .
      Drew