Re: [OldRockets] Re: ProDynes were 1st composites!

  • Bill Spadafora
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
      At 12:25 PM 11/3/2006 shockie said:

      >bill:
      >
      >I think its almost funny that Estes (among others) gave "names" to
      >their BP propellant compositions like Astronite..hehehehh

      It impressed me when I was 13!

      --
      Bill Spadafora http://home.att.net/~billspad or
      http://www.billsplumbing.com or
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
        At 03:23 PM 11/3/2006 gcgassaway@... said:

        >Bill Spadafora wrote:
        >

        >The specific impulse for the Estes motors looks wrong and for some of
        >the other motors dividing Total Impulse by Propellant Weight doesn't
        >get the listed Specific Impuse.
        ><<<<
        >
        >A big problem with using listed values of "propellant weight" to derive
        >Specific impulse is that the propellant weights usually include(d)
        >the delay and
        >ejection charge mass. Since the weight was (is) usually derived by
        >weighing the
        >engine before firing, then after firing. Heck, for reloads, that pre and post
        >firing weight method of determing "propellant" mass would even include the
        >lost mass of the eroded/burned portions of the cardboard liner.

        TR 22 is inconsistent with weights. For a particular motor type all
        the propellant weights are the same. On some of the motors the total
        weight will vary if it's a booster or has a delay. On some of them
        it's the same.

        Good point on the reloads. That's the time we'd have the opportunity
        to accurately measure the propellant weight. I know when we're
        testing the motors we weight them before and after. I don't know if
        Jack uses that number or a number supplied by the manufacturer.

        --
        Bill Spadafora http://home.att.net/~billspad or
        http://www.billsplumbing.com or
        billspad@... bill@...
      • doug holverson
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
          On Nov 3, 2006, at 6:05 PM, Bill Spadafora wrote:

          > At 12:25 PM 11/3/2006 shockie said:
          >
          >> bill:
          >>
          >> I think its almost funny that Estes (among others) gave "names" to
          >> their BP propellant compositions like Astronite..hehehehh
          >
          > It impressed me when I was 13!

          If Fun Rockets was successful and I got to build those Mabel-clones
          on the hill, I was toying with tongue-in-cheekily calling the engine
          line InterStellar OverDrive. Picking over my comic, which was named
          after a Camper Van Beethoven cover of a Pink Floyd song. I think that
          Syd and Co may have cribbed the name from pulp skiffy, but I never
          could find out.

          Wicked Winnie is also name that was also taken from my comics.

          DGH