Re: Speaking of kits that were never produced

  • tw_cooke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hello Peter. I got a couple of these cones from Countdown Hobbies a
      while back, and I also figured out what they were for. I built mine
      for 13mm motors and it flies pretty well on a A3-4T or a A10-3T. I
      was able to add all eight scale nozzles to the rear centering ring
      and still have room for the motor. I scaled down the tower from the
      BT-60 Mercury Redstone, and all of the nozzles are cardstock. I have
      a picture posted on my web site at: http://home.att.net/~twcooke/
      Terry Cooke
      --- In OldRockets@y..., petealway@a... wrote:
      > Here is a link to Sven Knudsen's scan of the nose cone page of the
      1970 Estes
      > catalog:
      >
      > http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/70est114.html
      >
      > Please direct your attention to the BNC-60T. This is the second BT-
      60 cone,
      > next to the Gemini capsule. For years I recognized it as a mercury
      capsule,
      > sort of, but wrong. It wasn't until I was writing scale rocketry
      books 20
      > years later that I recognized it. It's a Little Joe I nosecone.
      Sometime
      > around 1990, I stumbled into a stash of these cones at Commonwealth
      displays,
      > which they had found left over at some hobby didtributor's
      warehouse. I
      > think they sold them to me at the original price. This was when
      kit
      > collecting was growing, but nobody cared about original parts yet.
      >
      > I don't know how many people caught on to the purpose of that
      nosecone, but
      > once I recognized it I realized it implies that Estes was
      considering a 1/49
      > scale Little Joe I kit. I decided to build it into what the kit
      would have
      > been like, with 1/12" dowels for the escape tower and model
      aircraft trailing
      > edge stock. I built for standard engines, but there is little room
      for a
      > parachute, so I bet it would have used short engines. The model
      flies great
      > on an A8-3 (though I broke a fin the other weekend) so shorts would
      have been
      > adequate.
      >
      > It really would have made a cute little kit. Looking back through
      Sven's

    • petealway@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
        In a message dated 6/1/2002 4:55:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        twcooke@... writes:

        > Hello Peter. I got a couple of these cones from Countdown Hobbies a
        > while back, and I also figured out what they were for. I built mine
        > for 13mm motors and it flies pretty well on a A3-4T or a A10-3T. I
        > was able to add all eight scale nozzles to the rear centering ring
        > and still have room for the motor. I scaled down the tower from the
        > BT-60 Mercury Redstone, and all of the nozzles are cardstock. I have
        > a picture posted on my web site at: http://home.att.net/~twcooke/
        > Terry Cooke

        That looks nice. I'm glad someone else figured it out. I wonder how many
        people caught on and built a Little Joe around a BNC-60T. I hadn't
        considered that the mini engine would give room for the nozzles.

        Peter Alway

      • Scott D. Hansen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
          At 08:54 AM 06/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hello Peter. I got a couple of these cones from Countdown Hobbies a
          >while back, and I also figured out what they were for. I built mine
          >for 13mm motors and it flies pretty well on a A3-4T or a A10-3T. I
          >was able to add all eight scale nozzles to the rear centering ring
          >and still have room for the motor. I scaled down the tower from the
          >BT-60 Mercury Redstone, and all of the nozzles are cardstock. I have
          >a picture posted on my web site at: http://home.att.net/~twcooke/

          You have some great looking scale kits there, Terry. Good work!

          Scott

          ---
          NAR# 73268 SR WOOSH & NIRA
          Visit Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe to buy & sell any rocketry related items.
          http://www.rocketshoppe.com
          True Modeler's Rocket Kits
          http://www.truemodeler.com