Re: [OldRockets] Extendable Fins for Model Rockets

  • Steve Humphrey
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
      mikaelc wrote:
      > Hmmm ... metal fins .. isn't there something in the NAR safety code
      > about that?

      Yes indeed.

      Steve Humphrey
    • Walt Mathers
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2006
        Tnx Mike & Steve - I notice I can't find a glossary term to cover
        quick match and port fires around the site. The 1860's tube fins I
        am familiar with seeing on the parachute rocket were actually
        constructed of cardboard with a metal ring and eyelet riveting. I
        don't think these rockets were designed to fire from tube
        launchers. The extendable fins were designed to allow for the
        rocket bodies to fit into valises or wicker pack mule side panniers
        for easier transportation.

        I'd like to kow if anyone on thjis list might be willing to do some
        experiemtning to see if signal rocketry might be introduced to the
        re-enacting community that might answer the call for achieving
        greater safety over unduating fields of operations. Excepting
        limited use of rocket pyrotechnics for signalling at seacoast
        fortifications cannons can belch fire but rockets can not lift off.

        I'm hoping with your help and better non-flamable ways to achieve
        the same basic results, the re-enacting community could see better
        preconcerted signals at their 1860's events and fellow rocketeers
        might find another outlet for their services as Federal or
        Confederate army signal corpsmen at these same staged re-creations.

        Walt
        Hmmm ... metal fins .. isn't there something in the NAR safety code
        about that?
        Mike
        You mean something like this? :-)
        http://www.aeroconsystems.com/rockets/flippifin.htm