Re: Is this thing on? (Jay-Bird) .....

  • Larry B. Rice
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2004
      --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Goemmer" <scramjet@r...>
      wrote:

      > I also had the same Estes Maniac nose cone that Bill used for
      > his "GT," but I decided to do a 24mm powered upscale of the Centuri
      > Nova. Thanks to Larry Rice for submitting those plans (and the
      > decal) to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans." (Once again, Larry... "You
      rock!")
      > Like all the rest of OldRockets, too. ;-D
      >

      > Cheers,
      >
      > --Jay

      Jay,
      Thanks! As ex-Tripoli and NAR member Bob Hegwood once said
      to now UROC 8) and former Dayton area MIVARS member Fred Wil-
      liams at a Dayton area model show where they had both entered
      scale models and Fred had glad-handed the judge and conversed
      with him _Man, you were really blowing smoke up that guys butt ?_
      But seriously 8), since I've already asked this question to
      the group and gotten no response. Jay, do you have any Centuri
      kits in mind that you would like me to submit to Scott Hansen
      for use on his site ? Any that you haven't seen available any-
      where else ? If I have them I will open them (if possible) and
      have scanned and send to Scott. Centuri Stellar kits ? ,I have
      two. Magnum Jayhawk ? SR-71 ?
      I first met Lee Piester at NARAM 29 ('87)(Starlord land). And
      I had him autograph my Centuri Point _body_. Still have that kit
      unbuilt (have built another one). Anyway ,let _us_ know if I can
      help you and others.

      Upward,
      Larry Rice/ CSAR
    • Jay Goemmer
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Larry B. Rice"
        <larryr33323@y...> wrote:

        > "Jay-Bird"

        (chuckling) Not too many people call me that these days. I think my
        older brother and sister did when I was growing up -- as well as a
        cousin who was (still is) slightly older than I am. Now, it's you
        and my "big" boss (the TV station general manager). ;-D

        > --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Goemmer" <scramjet@r...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I decided to do a 24mm powered upscale of the Centuri
        > > Nova. Thanks to Larry Rice for submitting those plans
        > > (and the decal) to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans." (Once again,
        > > Larry... "You rock!")
        > >
        > > Like all the rest of OldRockets, too. ;-D
        >
        > Jay,
        >
        > Thanks! As ex-Tripoli and NAR member Bob Hegwood once
        > said to now UROC 8) and former Dayton area MIVARS member
        > Fred Williams

        I met Fred more than 3 years ago when UROC hosted NSL 2001.
        He seemed a little quiet, but "you *never know*..." ;-D

        > Fred had glad-handed the judge and conversed with him
        > _Man, you were really blowing smoke up that guys butt ?_

        (chuckling) Hey, I'm the only guy in a houseful of girls.
        Charm is a survival skill. (It comes in handy in my job
        as a TV reporter. ;-D No matter which political party I
        talk to, they're always glad to see me, because I give
        *everybody* fair and accurate coverage.)

        > But seriously 8), since I've already asked this
        > question to the group and gotten no response.
        > Jay, do you have any Centuri kits in mind that you
        > would like me to submit to Scott Hansen for use on
        > his site? Any that you haven't seen available
        > anywhere else? If I have them I will open them
        > (if possible) and have scanned and send to Scott.
        > Centuri Stellar kits? I have two. Magnum Jayhawk?
        > SR-71?

        Now that you mention the "Stellar" kits, I'd really
        like to see plans for the Photon Probe, Starlifter,
        and the Hercules... although I think in the interest
        of completeness (sorry, can't think of the right word),
        we should have the plans posted for the Spartan, Lancer,
        and Lance Corporal. (I had a Lancer, and *maybe* a
        Starlifter "back in the day.")

        > I first met Lee Piester at NARAM 29 ('87)(Starlord
        > land). And I had him autograph my Centuri Point
        > _body_. Still have that kit unbuilt (have built
        > another one).

        Too cool! ;-D

        > Anyway, let _us_ know if I can help you and others.

        The "Stellar" kits would be a good beginning. I'll
        make sure to post a request for more Centuri kits as
        I think of them. Thanks yet again!

        Cheers,

        --Jay
      • Bill Eichelberger
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2004
          >From: "Jay Goemmer" <scramjet@...>
          >To: OldRockets@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [OldRockets] Centuri Stellar Kits [was Re: Is this thing on?
          >(Jay-Bird)]
          >Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:04:42 -0000
          >

          >--- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Larry B. Rice"
          ><larryr33323@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > "Jay-Bird"
          >
          >(chuckling) Not too many people call me that these days. I think my
          >older brother and sister did when I was growing up -- as well as a
          >cousin who was (still is) slightly older than I am. Now, it's you
          >and my "big" boss (the TV station general manager). ;-D

          I'm the same way about people calling me "Billy". I allow it in the case of
          old neighbors, kids that I went to St. Therese with, and a few of my friends
          who I call far worse things and who are readily willing to return the favor.
          ;-)
          One of the girls that I went all through grade school with once showed up at
          Godfather's to pick up an order when I was working. She saw me through the
          window and squealed "BILLY EICHELBERGER!" (Just like that. Capital letters
          and all.) All I had to say was "Hi, Dorothy," and she recoiled as if
          slapped. (She had always fashioned herself as a "Dottie".) "Okay, I get
          the message. How are you, Bill?" she said after collecting herself. I
          comped her the pizza to show her that there were no hard feelings. She
          brought this up at a reunion years later and was surprised to find out that
          I had no idea that she hated the name "Dorothy". It was just the first
          thing to cross my mind.

        • Larry B. Rice
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2004
            wrote:

            > --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Larry B. Rice"
            > <larryr33323@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > "Jay-Bird"
            >
            > (chuckling) Not too many people call me that these days. I think
            my
            > older brother and sister did when I was growing up -- as well as a
            > cousin who was (still is) slightly older than I am. Now, it's you
            > and my "big" boss (the TV station general manager). ;-D

            Jay,
            I just thought that you'd see the post better that way. 8) One
            of my lunch buddies at work is named Jay Beck. So it's even easier
            to call him "Jay-Bird". As he's quite used to it.

            > > --- In OldRockets@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Goemmer" <scramjet@r...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I decided to do a 24mm powered upscale of the Centuri
            > > > Nova. Thanks to Larry Rice for submitting those plans
            > > > (and the decal) to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans." (Once again,
            > > > Larry... "You rock!")
            > > >
            > > > Like all the rest of OldRockets, too. ;-D
            > >
            > > Jay,
            > >
            > > Thanks! As ex-Tripoli and NAR member Bob Hegwood once
            > > said to now UROC 8) and former Dayton area MIVARS member
            > > Fred Williams
            >
            > I met Fred more than 3 years ago when UROC hosted NSL 2001.
            > He seemed a little quiet, but "you *never know*..." ;-D

            Fred is somewhat reserved with _new comers_. And we were
            quite surprised back here in Ohio when I told the group that
            Fred had gotten married out in Utah (he was always one of the
            "He-Man Woman Haters Club" for the most part here, as he'd
            been duped by women in his_youth_ several times). I'm really
            surprised Fred isn't an active part of our group. As he was
            a OOP collector like myself when he was living in Franklin
            (just west of Dayton), Ohio. As you might have seen. Fred is
            also an avid scale modeler. He was reserve national champion
            for CSAR at NARAM 29. He went on to form MIVARS in the Dayton,
            Ohio area with Bob Hegwood later that year.

            > > Fred had glad-handed the judge and conversed with him
            > > _Man, you were really blowing smoke up that guys butt ?_
            >
            > (chuckling) Hey, I'm the only guy in a houseful of girls.
            > Charm is a survival skill. (It comes in handy in my job
            > as a TV reporter. ;-D No matter which political party I
            > talk to, they're always glad to see me, because I give
            > *everybody* fair and accurate coverage.)
            >

            > > But seriously 8), since I've already asked this
            > > question to the group and gotten no response.
            > > Jay, do you have any Centuri kits in mind that you
            > > would like me to submit to Scott Hansen for use on
            > > his site? Any that you haven't seen available
            > > anywhere else? If I have them I will open them
            > > (if possible) and have scanned and send to Scott.
            > > Centuri Stellar kits? I have two. Magnum Jayhawk?
            > > SR-71?
            >
            > Now that you mention the "Stellar" kits, I'd really
            > like to see plans for the Photon Probe, Starlifter,
            > and the Hercules... although I think in the interest
            > of completeness (sorry, can't think of the right word),
            > we should have the plans posted for the Spartan, Lancer,
            > and Lance Corporal. (I had a Lancer, and *maybe* a
            > Starlifter "back in the day.")
            >

            > > I first met Lee Piester at NARAM 29 ('87)(Starlord
            > > land). And I had him autograph my Centuri Point
            > > _body_. Still have that kit unbuilt (have built
            > > another one).
            >
            > Too cool! ;-D
            >

            > > Anyway, let _us_ know if I can help you and others.
            >
            > The "Stellar" kits would be a good beginning. I'll
            > make sure to post a request for more Centuri kits as
            > I think of them. Thanks yet again!

            I have the Hercules and the Lancer. Danny Sagstetter has all
            six 8). But getting him to open the other four might be a
            daunting task (he , with others found a storage container at
            a Chicago area warehouse with dozens of each kit in it, along
            with other _goodies_ in the late eighties. He sold off most of
            these in auctions).
            As I long as I have most people's attention. Here's some other
            kits I haven't had scanned yet:
            1.) Rocket Technologies Corp.; #K1 German V-2
            2.) FSI #1026 Competitor
            3.) FSI #1021 Hornet
            4.) ACE #4 Mini Allegro
            5.) NCR #K-101 Sky Wolf (Cub Scout kit)
            6.) Aeronautic & Space Co.(Katz/Gassaway)-Windrift Flexwing
            7.) Estes # 1104 Cold Power Honest John(M31)<Greenline>
            8.) Vashon #5070 Astro-Gnat B/G
            9.) Vashon #5068 Red Baron B/G
            10.) CMR #C16 Tachyon
            11.) Composite Dynamics (pre-Aerotech) Starfire (their big kit)
            Just picked out a few _oddities_ off of my kit list 8).

            Skyward,
            Larry Rice- Columbus, OH