Re: [OldRockets] Re: Ebay gold? (dig out those old kits)

  • Wolfram v.Kiparski
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
      bill_eichelberger@... wrote:

      > So, the question is, how do we make Estes aware that there is so much
      > interest in their classic kits (and none in their RTF kits)? Is there
      > an e-mail address that we can flood with our requests or a particular
      > person in the company who we can address our concerns to?

      My guess is that they (whoever "they" is overthere) are already aware.

      Wolf
    • Wolfram v.Kiparski
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
        Jamie Clay wrote:

        > But $400 for an original Titan, $300 (or more) for a 1B? I guess I'm not
        > that kind of BAR.

        ...and neither am I...

        A while back, on Stuckman's original auction website, someone bought a Centuri
        Vector-V kit for $80 (maybe $90). I was shocked! Actually, I was so insensed
        that I immediately rummaged around through my boxes of odds and ends, and came up
        with the parts to clone one. Before dawn, I had a perfectly cloned Vector-V.
        By the next afternoon I printed the decals, and some days after that, it was
        primed, painted, and ready to fly. Total cost was less than $5.00 (maybe even less
        than $3.00). I'll wager that an "expert" couldn't tell it from the real thing
        (from the outside). One could put it in the Model Rocketry Museum.

        But I suppose that's not the point...

        Wolf
      • Jamie Clay
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
          At 7/11/2001, MikeJ wrote:
          >Now I enjoy them because they bring back pleasant memories of long summer
          >vacations and flying rockets.

          Yeah, but the memories are even better when they're built and flying but I
          understand where you're coming from, I have a few old computers that are
          still in their original packaging. There little chance I'll use them again
          but having them "entombed" in my studio brings on a nostalgic
          warmth. Maybe one day they'll be worth what I paid for them again...(it
          could happen).

          j-me
        • kwickart@cyberianet.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
            At 09:41 AM 7/11/01 -0700, you wrote:

            [SNIP list of rare vintage kits & motors]

            >Maybe I
            >can put my kids through college?!?!?!

            Or the rest of us through hell. :)

            --Kevin--
            Drooling.
          • charles russell
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
              That is a tough call. A reissued kit would be just that - kind of a
              commercial clone. I, too, would buy the reissue. But they would not have
              the nostalgia value of a real honest-to-Vern (or Lee, or Mike, or...) kit.

              Chas

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                >This Saturn 1b has only been up for a day, started at $25.00 and is at
                >$300.00 already. Whoa.

                I've got a partially-built S-1B in my "finish this someday" box. In
                addition, some of the guys at WOOSH got together a couple of years ago and
                paid a manufacturer to make a limited run of the tubes needed for the S-1B,
                as well as the escape tower nose and skirt. If memory serves, they were
                selling the tubes for $10 and the escape tower parts kits for $5. They also
                had extra tubes manufactured so that, with the addition of a transition and
                nose from BMS, you could clone the Thor-Agena B kit.
                So I've also got a set of these tubes.

                Someday...

                --Kevin--
              • Fehskens, Len
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                  Kevin sez:

                  > some of the guys at WOOSH got together a couple of years
                  > ago and paid a manufacturer to make a limited run of the
                  > tubes needed for the S-1B,
                  > So I've also got a set of these tubes.

                  Damian Kostron of KosRox was for a time selling a similar set of
                  1/70 S-1B tubes and transitions. I snagged two of them while
                  they were still available.

                  BTW, for S-1B nuts, the AMC Man In Space 1/200 plastic kit of
                  all the manned vehicles includes a nice little S-1B that will easily
                  take a BT-50. It would probably be foolhardy to fly the conversion
                  on a 24mm motor (hmm, maybe that new C11?), but the BT-50
                  would provide a little extra 'chute space for an 18mm powered
                  version. This set is still available for about $16.

                  len.
                • kwickart@cyberianet.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                    >BTW, for S-1B nuts, the AMC Man In Space 1/200 plastic kit of
                    >all the manned vehicles includes a nice little S-1B that will easily
                    >take a BT-50. It would probably be foolhardy to fly the conversion
                    >on a 24mm motor (hmm, maybe that new C11?), but the BT-50
                    >would provide a little extra 'chute space for an 18mm powered
                    >version. This set is still available for about $16.
                    >
                    >len.

                    Heh. Guess what *else* I've got in my "To Be Built" box.

                    --Kevin--
                  • Steven Rogers
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001

                      and Jamie Clay wrote:

                      >Agreed, but would you simply store it or build it? Then fly it? That's
                      >where this whole thing breaks down for me. I'm not a collector of kits, it
                      >would be like having a '57 Chevy in sealed bags in the garage.

                      Collecting kits is a step removed from rocketry - its about the
                      social implications
                      of rocketry. The same reason they have an old cowboy's tin plate in a museum.
                      Its not about the plate as such, and it doesn't matter that anyone
                      could make one
                      and nobody could tell the difference. Its that this *is* a plate that
                      went down the
                      Chisum trail. Artifacts are like that - its not the thing, its what
                      it represents.

                      But still, I wouldn't pay $400 for that kit even if I had the money
                      *and* I fell
                      on my head in the shower. Now when people are lining up to pay admission
                      to the model rocketry museum, then we'll see . . .

                      Steve
                      --

                      Steve Rogers
                      Austin TX -- AIM: StevRocket
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                        Len,
                        I flew the AMT 1/200 Saturn 1B back in the early '70s on a B 3-5. Delay was
                        long, but the flight was successful. I used one of the old NAR lead payload
                        weights in the Lunar Module Adapter for nose weight.
                        I figured a composite C10 would be the way to go now. The C11 will have to
                        prove itself, but it looks like it would work.

                        Chas

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                          KosRox has done another run of the 1Bs and also has the tube set
                          available separately. I can understand the collecting thing;
                          actually I would love to have an original kit hanging around in the
                          bag for nostalgia's sake. For me it's a question of degree; $400
                          just seems like way too much money. Besides, these days, my biggest
                          thrill comes from actually flying the kits I built but didn't have
                          the guts to fly as a kid. I've just finished a BFTP Space Shuttle
                          and can't wait to see it fly. Cloning gives me the thrill of going
                          back to being a kid putting together rockets in bad light in my
                          parents' basement!
                          I would think Estes must have made a good amount of money from the
                          reissue of the Saturn V. Would it be that tough to crank out a few
                          thousand 1/100 1Bs? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
                          Drew Tomko
                        • Scott D. Hansen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                            At 01:08 PM 07/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:

                            >selling the tubes for $10 and the escape tower parts kits for $5. They also
                            >had extra tubes manufactured so that, with the addition of a transition and
                            >nose from BMS, you could clone the Thor-Agena B kit.

                            Or a SPEV...

                            I got a few sets of those tubes as well.

                            Scott
                            ---
                            NAR# 73268 SR WOOSH and NIRA
                            Visit Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe to buy & sell any rocketry related items.
                            http://www.imc-ltd.com/rockets
                            True Modeler's Rocket Kits http://www.truemodeler.com
                          • Scott D. Hansen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                              At 02:27 PM 07/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:

                              >Damian Kostron of KosRox was for a time selling a similar set of
                              >1/70 S-1B tubes and transitions. I snagged two of them while
                              >they were still available.

                              He made another run of them. The "kit" is $48. You can also get just the
                              tubes for $20. Here's a link to the page:

                              http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/sat1b/saturn1b.htm

                              Scott
                              ---
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 11, 2001
                                At 7/11/2001, you wrote:
                                >He made another run of them. The "kit" is $48. You can also get just the
                                >tubes for $20. Here's a link to the page:
                                >
                                >http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/sat1b/saturn1b.htm

                                Nice looking kit! Heck all I need is an old Estes 1b box and I can more
                                than quadruple my investment. ;)

                                j-me

                                Jamie Clay

                                ----------
                                NAR# 16041 www.VideoRocketry.com
                              • Michael Joyce
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 17, 2001
                                  Only a couple hours left, better hurry.
                                  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615602612
                                  Oh yeah, you'll need some spending cash!!!

                                  MikeJ

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 17, 2001
                                    At 7/17/2001, you wrote:
                                    >Only a couple hours left, better hurry.
                                    >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615602612
                                    >Oh yeah, you'll need some spending cash!!!

                                    Yikes, it's up to $570!!!!

                                    Man oh man, who wants that, that bad? First it's not an attractive box -
                                    not exactly the kind of thing you would put on display - second it's just a
                                    box of parts, many that can picked up if you do a little research - third,
                                    if you do build it and screw up, you've just burned half a grand, finally
                                    if you really want an 1/70th Saturn 1b you can get one for $48!

                                    http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/sat1b/saturn1b.htm

                                    Well, congratulations should go to the seller, that's for sure. What a nice
                                    score. I think I'm going to pick up a white packing box, print out a 1b end
                                    label and throw my tube collecting into it - then put it on the display
                                    shelf and live la vida loca! ;)

                                    j-me

                                    Jamie Clay

                                    ----------
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 17, 2001
                                      Maybe this one's more cost effective
                                      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615605220&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=995389642&indexURL=0&rd=1
                                      Sell your Saturn 1B and buy three Mars Landers?!
                                      MikeJ

                                      Jamie Clay wrote:

                                      > At 7/17/2001, you wrote:
                                      > >Only a couple hours left, better hurry.
                                      > >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615602612
                                      > >Oh yeah, you'll need some spending cash!!!
                                      >
                                      > Yikes, it's up to $570!!!!
                                      >
                                      > Man oh man, who wants that, that bad? First it's not an attractive box -
                                      > not exactly the kind of thing you would put on display - second it's just a
                                      > box of parts, many that can picked up if you do a little research - third,
                                      > if you do build it and screw up, you've just burned half a grand, finally
                                      > if you really want an 1/70th Saturn 1b you can get one for $48!
                                      >
                                      > http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/sat1b/saturn1b.htm
                                      >
                                      > Well, congratulations should go to the seller, that's for sure. What a nice
                                      > score. I think I'm going to pick up a white packing box, print out a 1b end
                                      > label and throw my tube collecting into it - then put it on the display
                                      > shelf and live la vida loca! ;)
                                      >
                                      > j-me
                                      >
                                      > Jamie Clay

                                      "Measure twice, cut once"
                                      http://www.B9Creations.com

                                    • Michael Joyce
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 17, 2001
                                        OK, I'm pretty slow, but I just noticed that both these items are being sold by the same seller. Nice going!

                                        Michael Joyce wrote:

                                        > Maybe this one's more cost effective
                                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615605220&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=995389642&indexURL=0&rd=1
                                        > Sell your Saturn 1B and buy three Mars Landers?!
                                        > MikeJ
                                        >
                                        > Jamie Clay wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > At 7/17/2001, you wrote:
                                        > > >Only a couple hours left, better hurry.
                                        > > >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1615602612
                                        > > >Oh yeah, you'll need some spending cash!!!
                                        > >
                                        > > Yikes, it's up to $570!!!!
                                        > >
                                        > > Man oh man, who wants that, that bad? First it's not an attractive box -
                                        > > not exactly the kind of thing you would put on display - second it's just a
                                        > > box of parts, many that can picked up if you do a little research - third,
                                        > > if you do build it and screw up, you've just burned half a grand, finally
                                        > > if you really want an 1/70th Saturn 1b you can get one for $48!
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/sat1b/saturn1b.htm
                                        > >
                                        > > Well, congratulations should go to the seller, that's for sure. What a nice
                                        > > score. I think I'm going to pick up a white packing box, print out a 1b end
                                        > > label and throw my tube collecting into it - then put it on the display
                                        > > shelf and live la vida loca! ;)
                                        > >
                                        > > j-me
                                        > >
                                        > > Jamie Clay

                                        > --