Re: FW: Why it's called Lake Superior? TODAY'S LESSON

  • DanyR
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
      Aanii miin(a)waa ngoding...Hello, again.
      Gaawii(n) (on)jida...sorry about this: to make it easier to understand and learn, I should have included a translation of what I wrote: Thank you for sharing the information, or thank you for the information that you shared. (miigwech = thank you...gii = past tense...bi = toward the receiver of the communication...you, singular, share something: the form of the verb is in the role of supplying subordinate information [the primary information is "thank you"]...information, given in its plural form, because there is so much of it)
      Baamaa pii...Later.
      Dany sa

      --- In OjibweLanguageSocietyMiinawaa@yahoogroups.com, "DanyR" wrote:

      > Boozhoo.
      > Miigwech gii-bi-maada'okiiyan wiindamaagoowinan.
      > Dany niin
      >

      > --- In OjibweLanguageSocietyMiinawaa@yahoogroups.com, "Rolland Nadjiwon" wrote:
      > >
      > > Why it's called Lake Superior
      > > Pretty amazing..... Did you realize how big this lake is?
      > >
      > > LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS
      > >
      > > * Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh
      > > water on the planet Earth.
      > >
      > > * It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.
      > >
      > > * The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.
      > >
      > > * There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior.
      > >
      > > * Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.
      > >
      > > * A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it Lac Tracy, but that name
      > > was never officially adopted.
      > >
      > > * It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes
      > > combined, plus three extra Lake Eries!!
      > >
      > > * There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Mary's River
      > > (Sault Ste. Marie) into Lake Huron, but it takes almost
      > > two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.
      > >
      > > * There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and
      > > South America with water one foot deep.
      > >
      > > * Lake Superior was formed during the last glacial retreat, making it one of the earth's youngest major features at only about 10,000 years old.
      > >
      > > * The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.
      > >
      > > * There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.
      > >
      > > * The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters
      > > or 31 feet high.
      > >
      > > * If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight
      > > line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas.
      > >
      > > * Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the
      > > largest source being the Nipigon River.
      > >
      > > * The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes. Underwater visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.
      > >
      > > * In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the
      > > western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.
      > >
      > > * Some of the world's oldest rocks, formed about 2.7 billion
      > > years ago, can be found on the Ontario shore of Lake Superior.
      > >
      > > * It very rarely freezes over completely, and then usually just for a few hours. Complete freezing occurred in 1962, 1979, 2003 and 2009.

    • Rolland Nadjiwon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
        This is great Dany...megwetch....

        wahjeh
        rolland nadjiwon
        The world's a mess, but that doesn't mean I have to be

        _____