Re: new designer diary entry

  • Paul O'Connor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2000
      ILuvPnkFlyd wrote:

      > From: "ILuvPnkFlyd" <heatheranne@...>
      >
      > Hi again Paul =)
      >
      > My boyfriend had some things to add to the discussion and asked that I pass
      > them along.
      >
      > Rob wrote:
      >
      > <<The "thinking" puzzles prevalent in Exoddus made the game much more
      > interesting and fun than the "dexterity" puzzles in Oddysey. I'd prefer to
      > see more of those.

      The new engine, being a 3D game, will practically require this. Timing puzzles, jumping puzzles, etc. won't work as well as they did in 2D. For what it's worth, it was never our intent to create a twitch game, either with Oddysee or Exoddus, but
      the games kind of migrated that direction during development.

      > Perhaps, more interaction with the other species. The ability to ride Elum
      > in the first one was definitely a high point. Almost as enjoyable as the
      > possession of enemy species in the "bonus game" (Exoddus).>>

      Elum will return in Munch's Oddysee. He was dropped from Exoddus primarily because of RAM cramp. There was no way we could load Abe, Elum, an enemy or two, and the moves & effects needed to do anything interesting all at the same time. Those few
      scenes where he works in Oddysee were carefully scripted and pretty limited when you break them down. We'll have more RAM in Munch and we're looking forward to playing with Elum again. I think he'll be a much more dynamic character in 3D.

      > Hope you don't mind, he is a die hard gamer LOL. Take care Paul =)

      Always happy to hear from Oddworld fans.