Re: [Ocicat] Ocicat - sudden death

  • Jezz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi Jerry,
      I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
      Did the vet do any autopsy on Sammi?
      The reason for his sudden death could be several,
      such as heartproblem, poison etc.

      For many years ago, we had some lines in Sweden that passed on HCM
      (heart-sickness) to some offsprings. However, those lines was
      eliminated quite fast. I also heard of some HCM cases in Denmark about
      a year ago. So, -I don`t think that HCM is a problem within the breed,
      more than in other breeds. IF that was the reason for your Sammi to
      die.

      I recommend you to contact the breeder of Sammi to inform them of Sammis death.
      Most breeders would really apreciate if an autopsy is done, -so that
      we know the reason, and could be able to plan the matings for the best
      of the future for the ocicat.

      /Jess

      On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:03:11 -0000, nissenjerry <jerry.nissen@...> wrote:

      > Up until last night I owned an Ocicat. Sammi was 2 years old and a
      > wonderful companion to our family. He was my wife's cat and my wife
      > is devastated by his death. He died last night quite suddenly. We had
      > just sat down for dinner and I heard a noise where the cat food
      > dishes are. Sammi loves to eat and I thought he had knocked over the
      > food. I weent to that area and found him laying on the floor
      > breathing very heavy. By the time my wife got there, which took less
      > than 30 seconds, Sammi was dead. We rushed him to the vets but it was
      > no use. The vet had no idea what happened and he speculated an
      > embolism or a heart attack. Sammi was the best pet my wife or I have
      > ever had. We have another cat, but the Sammi was so different than
      > Nikki. Sammi was my wife's constant companion and was happiest being
      > next to her. I am just looking for some answers. Has anyone out there
      > ever heard of the Ocicat breed having heart problems or any type of
      > sudden death problems. In time I feel certain we will get another cat
      > and our experience with Ocicats was wonderful and horrible. But I
      > don't ever want to deal with this again if there is a problem with
      > the breed. All responses are appreciated.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • nissenjerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
        A few days ago I posted an inquiry to this group to try to find some
        answers about the tragic death of Sammy our beloved ocicat. Since
        that time I have received many heartfelt messages from Ocicat lovers
        all over the world. The theme of the messages was always the same, "I
        am sorry to hear about Sammy. Don't mourn too much because you will
        always have the memories and get another kitten as soon as possible
        to honor Sammy's memory." There was also a consistent bit of advice
        that we did not follow. 'Have the vet do a autopsy so you can truly
        learn the cause of death". We didn't do this because my wife couldn't
        bear to think of Sammy being cut up. I realize now that this was a
        mistake becasue although my posting was my way to try to get some
        answers I was also inviting a lot of speculation. I did get a couple
        of emails that asked about where we got Sammy and suggested the breed
        line may be a problem. I am posting this message to try and put that
        issue to bed.

        When Sammy died the first person I contacted was the breeder. She
        responded immediately and her expressions of concern and sympathy
        were wornderful to hear. She assured me that she had never had nor
        heard of this type of problem in any kitten she has ever placed. I
        feel absolutely certain that is the truth because her cat blood lines
        run through so many catteries throughout the world. However by asking
        that question I now realize that it may have sounded like I was
        questioning the health of her cats. That was not my intent!! We were
        hurting and looking for answers everywhere. We talked to our vet, we
        talked to friends and through email we talked to many ocicat owners.
        The theme was the same. "This is one of those unexplained things that
        happen in your life and you have to accept it and go on." I realize
        now that whatever answers we got or didn't get won't bring Sammy
        back. If we had consented to autopsy we would have known what killed
        him but not why he died.

        So to cat owners everywhere that contacted me I say thank you! Love
        your animals everyday because you don't know what tomorrow may bring.
        To Barb, thank you for Sammy. The time we had with him was wonderful.
        We just wish it would have been longer.

        We will get another kitten. Some days we think we want another one
        immediately and other days we think it's too soon. We will work this
        out and hopefully be able to find another kitten as special as Sammy
        was.