Potential Eagle Projects

  • the4legges
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013

      I received the following email from a committee member of the Good Shepherd Housing Foundation.  They have potential Eagle Projects if someone is looking for one. Knowing there is always a scout out there looking for a project, I'll pass it on to all units in the District.

      Dave Legge

      Scoutmaster

      Troop 35

      *******************************

      As a parent of an Eagle Scout who received his rank back in 1989 while we lived in Montclair, I am aware that scouts are always looking for worthwhile projects to work toward the rank of Eagle Scout.
      I am serving on a committee to plan for a 2014 celebration of the 25th anniversary of Good Shepherd Housing Foundation (GSHF). The foundation's mission is to provide housing for vulnerable individuals and families with low income, particularly those who struggle with mental illness.
      "GSHF began with love of a mother for her son. The young man had suffered from debilitating epilepsy and serious mental health concerns all his life. His mother, like so many aging parents of disabled adult children, asked a single burning question, "Who will care for and house my child if I become incapacitated or pass on?" This mother resolved to seek a solution for her child and others like him. In 1989 she reached out to her faith congregation. She offered her limited funds as seed money to help buy a home for other dependent adult children."
      Since then the foundation has provided homes for the homeless and seriously mentally ill individuals. There is a need for more homes since there is a long waiting list. If you need more information visit www.Goodshepherdhousing.org.
      Good Shepherd Housing Foundation has a home (Shepherd House III) on a five acre plot in Woodbridge, where both the home and the surrounding landscape are in the early stages of planning for renovation and upgrades to improve the appearance and utility of the property. This could be an opportunity for scout troops looking for service projects or a scout working towards his Eagle Scout rank to help the community in this endeavor.
      I would appreciate you sharing this email with other Boy Scout Troops in Prince William County. If you are needing more information you can contact me via this email address (lsivers@...) or my home phone number is 540-286-2930.
      Or if you are available our next committee meeting is: Thursday, October 3 at 10:00 AM in the foundation's office at 13190 Centerpointe Way, Suite 102 in Dale City.
      Thanks for any assistance you and your scouts can provide.
      Sincerely,
      Deanna Sivers