2014 BSA Membership Fee Increase

  • Stanley Mushaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2013
    2014 BSA Membership Fee Increase All:
       Atchd is the official BSA announcement and background info on the membership fee increases for 2014.  This may help answer some of the basic questions you receive from scouters and scouting families, but the info is very general.  The NCAC Council Commissioner, Ed Yarbrough, and other Area 6 Council Commissioners are seeking more detailed info from BSA.  Will forward to you as soon as it becomes available.

    YIS
    Stan Mushaw
    District Commissioner
    Occoquan District
    (703) 494-2258

    On 9/6/13 9:58 PM, "Daniel Marquis" <drougeskipper@...> wrote:

    Roger,
        No worries!  It only goes to show the added importance of taking the Recharter training this year!

    Dan
    From: Roger LaBrie <roglabrie@...>
    Date: Friday, September 6, 2013 4:11 PM
    To: Daniel Marquis <drougeskipper@...>, Ernest Hines <e.hinesii@...>, <"mailto:turnerll"@... <mailto:turnerll> >, <awlk2rmberva@...>, <bma@...>, Linda <legogibson@...>, <sandcdietzius@...>, Robert Lewis <rlewis123@...>, Carl Curling <curling@...>, Roger Henderson <roger.g.henderson@...>, John Jagielski <johnjag1@...>, Amy Brown <amynbrown269@...>
    Cc: Stan Mushaw <smushaw@...>, Ben Hazekamp Occoquan DE <ben.hazekamp@...>, Occoquan <Occoquan@yahoogroups.com>
    Subject: Re: [Occoquan Scouting Newsgroup] More on the Verified at Fee increase for 2014 Charter..

    Sorry you think I made it muddy—it wasn't my intention but the details need to be looked at if its to be clear.

    Here it is

    Starting in DECEMBER 2013 registration is $2 per month.. If you do it for a year it also turns out to $24/year. I state it this way because of many applications that are usually submitted with the charter packages every year.  So the 2014 bill is $24/person PLUS any applications you have in with the charter package.  The turn in envelope covers that, last year it was $1.25/per youth application.. This year both youth and adult applications are impacted.

    Your first assumption that the new policy starts January 2014 is wrong; it starts according to the NCAC WEBSITE on 1 December 2013.  Our charter is 1 January through 31 December every year.

    I asked specifically about the fees for the rest of this year (2013) because of that sentence on the website that stated "it started now".. "Now being too vague for me"  I asked about the months of August September October and November.. because I had just picked up some apps and asked the council registrar office if I needed to get more money for those applications, she (the registrar) said NO. Those fees for August September October and November remain as is according the current application inside page TWO pro-rated of course for a partial year, based on $15/year as it states on the application…

    Where is it not clear?  $24 for 2014 and if you include any applications with the charter add another $2/per app.  The UCRS for 2014 will not compute that extra $2 because of course December is part of the 2013 charter year.. Again the turn in envelope addresses that additional fee.   I am not making this up as I go-- these are the instructions and information as given to me from Council.

    Hope this clears it up a little better.

    Thanks
    Roger

    From: Daniel Marquis <drougeskipper@...>
    Date: Friday, September 6, 2013 6:26 AM
    To: Roger LaBrie <roglabrie@...>, Ernest Hines <e.hinesii@...>, <"mailto:turnerll"@... <mailto:turnerll> >, <awlk2rmberva@...>, <bma@...>, Linda <legogibson@...>, <sandcdietzius@...>, Robert Lewis <rlewis123@...>, Carl Curling <curling@...>, Roger Henderson <roger.g.henderson@...>, John Jagielski <johnjag1@...>, Amy Brown <amynbrown269@...>
    Cc: Stan Mushaw <smushaw@...>, Ben Hazekamp Occoquan DE <ben.hazekamp@...>, Occoquan <Occoquan@yahoogroups.com>

    Now it's as clear as mud Roger (to me that is based upon this email addition to past announcements).  If the policy is to take effect nationally, you're now saying that Council says it really takes effect in December?  That makes no sense to me taken out of the context of recharter.  What units really need to know now is, come recharter on the first weekend of December, what will the registration cost be per boy/adult to re-register for the next year at the recharter event.  All units have to write one very large check and we need to budget effectively between now and then in order to effectively come up with that amount.  It's still unclear if the registration costs at this year's recharter have risen by 60+% or not.  My assumption is that, even though the policy takes effect 1 January 2014, that since the recharter is re-registering for that entire 2014 year, that the new fee rate applies and we've got to sell more popcorn, mulch, etc to adjust to that by December.  I believe that that might be what Council was trying to say, but in a very obtuse manner.  Rechartering in December is probably what is causing the confusion, because technically, joining in December would mean that one pays the old rate for one month and then the new rate for all following months Jan-Nov 2014 until recharter in December.  Does recharter in December pay for the month of December 2013 to 30 Nov 2014 or is it really paying for  1 Jan to 31 December 2014 just 3-4 weeks in advance since our charters expire on 31 December?  I believe it's the latter, but the newly initiated are probably still confused.  What I believe might actually be wrong.  Please clarify if possible.