Dale City Independence Day Parade

  • Alice Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
      “Hurray for the Red, White and Blue”................
      and hurray for the OccoquanDistrict!

      Many thanks to all of the Scouts, Scouters andParents who participated in the second annual Boy Scouts of America entry inthe Dale City Independence Day Parade. Wehad double the amount of participants as last year.

      Two years ago, I was hoping to show our community thevalues of scouting and that BSA and all of its volunteers are helping to moldthe future leaders of our great nation. Once again, I am ecstatic about the turnout, parental support and thequality behavior of our boys. We doubledour numbers from last year…wow! Sixteenof our units participated this year. Myapologies if I missed mentioning any pack or troop.

      Packs 35, 117, 292,295, 501, 964, 1149, 1189, 1353, 1373, 1385
      Troops 35, 102,1369, 1378, 1390

      Despite the heat, many of our scouts walked more than threemiles down Dale Boulevard to cheering and supportive fans. Pack 501 provided a Pinewood Derby float forour entry. I already have a volunteerfor next year’s district float and a theme for it, too.

      Akela, Baloo and Tiger traveled the entire route with ourscouts. As always they are very popularwith the crowd. A huge thanks those threeguys! Cubmaster Justin Youtz kept theboys going with “repeat after me” cheers. I even spotted two of our District Commissioners snapping pictures and rooting for us.

      And…………drum roll…………for the second year in a row, we camehome with a trophy! I am grateful to theParade Committee for recognizing the strong bond and brotherhood we have scouting. The judges were all smiles as we proudly marched bytheir table. Albeit, I was not very happythat the position numbers were not posted for everyone to find us more easily. Argh! But,perhaps we could get some Boy Scouts out there next year to help post thenumbers. This is a hint, hint for a troop looking to help next year.

      Once again, thank you for all the support on the anniversary of our Country’s Independence. You have all helped to put our youth on a path toward a more conscientious, responsible and productive society.

      Alice Nelson
    • Alice Nelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2014
        The Dale City Independence Day Parade is on Friday, July 4, 2014.

        To create a positive exposure of scouting in the Occoquan District we will continue to have a Boy Scouts of America unit for the Dale City Independence Day Parade.

        If your unit is registered with the Dale City Parade Committee, please continue with your unit's plan of action.

        If your unit does NOT participate, any of your members are welcome to join the Boy Scouts of America - Occoquan District parade entry.

        One person from each unit should be designated as their unit’s parade coordinator and contact me before, during and after the parade.  The number of participants will vary from unit to unit and may change daily due to many factors such as vacation plans, cancelled plans or a new found desire to attend.

        It does not matter if you have one parent and child or twenty Scouts and two Scouters.  This is an opportunity for any NCAC - Occoquan District youth member to be in the parade to show their patriotism and be proud to be a member of the Boy Scouts of America.

        All Scouts and Scouters should wear their official BSA Field Uniform (Class A).  If a participant does not have a Field Uniform, then their Activity Uniform (Class B) will suffice.

        Each unit will be responsible for bringing, monitoring and returning youth to their parent or guardian.  If the BSA Activity Consent form or other form is used, please use the method your unit practices for an event.

        Safety considerations should be in place for each unit that brings participants.  Heat and weather factors may be a matter of concern.  Each person should wear a BSA appropriate hat or sunglasses.  ALL participants should have some type of hydration for themselves.  Water will be a necessity, not an option.

        Small wagons may be rolled along the route to carry water and trash.  We will practice the Leave No Trace principals during our march along the route.

        Akela, Baloo and Tiger will not be joining us this year.  But, we will have the debut of our new Boy Scouts of America banner leading the unit.  Four Scouts will carry the eight foot long banner, and we will change out the volunteers frequently so as to not tire them out.

        Line-up will start around 9:15 am and the parade will begin promptly at 10:00 am starting at Kirkdale Road and Dale Boulevard.  The line-up will go as far back as Mapledale Plaza.  The parade ends at commuter lot behind Center Plaza where there is an annual Family Fun Day.  This is where units should have parents/guardians pick up their Scout.  Each unit must stay with their Scouts until they are all returned safely.

        The final position number for us will not be given until about 24 to 48 hours beforehand.  I will contact all unit parade coordinators as soon as I learn our staging position and will post it on Yahoo Groups as well.

        Please, consider joining us in Dale City’s time honored tradition and celebrate our country’s birthday.

        Alice Nelson
        Occoquan District
      • Alice Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20
          The Dale City Independence Day Parade is on Saturday, July 4, 2015.

          To create a positive exposure of scouting in the Occoquan District we will continue to have a Boy Scouts of America unit for the Dale City Independence Day Parade.

          If your unit is registered with the Dale City Parade Committee, please continue with your unit's plan of action.

          If your unit does NOT participate, any of your members are welcome to join the Boy Scouts of America - Occoquan District parade entry.

          One person from each unit should be designated as their unit’s parade coordinator and contact me before and after the parade. The number of participants will vary from unit to unit and may change daily due to many factors such as vacation plans, canceled plans or a new found desire to attend.

[...]

          Akela, Baloo and Tiger will not be joining us this year. But, we will have the Boy Scouts of America banner leading the unit. Four Scouts will carry the eight foot long banner, and we will change out the volunteers frequently so as to not tire them out.

          Line-up will start around 9:15 am and the parade will begin promptly at 10:00 am starting at Kirkdale Road and Dale Boulevard. The line-up will go as far back as Mapledale Plaza. The parade ends at commuter lot behind Center Plaza where there is an annual Family Fun Day. This is where units should have parents/guardians pick up their Scout. Each unit must stay with their Scouts until they are all returned safely.

          The final position number for us will not be given until about 24 to 48 hours beforehand. I will contact all unit parade coordinators as soon as I learn our staging position and will post it the on the ncacbsa.org site and the Yahoo Groups (if it has not been shut down).