Dale City Independence Day Parade Position # 108

  • Alice Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2013
    Dale City Independence Day Parade Position # 108

    Occoquan District will be participating in the Dale City Independence Day Parade again this year.  All district Scouts and Scouters are invited to participate.  This is a great experience for boys of all ages as well as a chance for the Scouts of the Occoquan District to create a positive, group image for scouting.  Join us as we  show our patriotism and pride to be a scout!

    When: Thursday, July 4, 2013
    Time: Parade Position Meeting Time - 9:15 am
    Start Location: Look for the the number 108 on the small sign post on the east bound side of Dale Boulevard - we should be near Lindendale
    End Location: Commuter lot behind Center Plaza (Giant) where there is an annual Family Fun Day - This is where all scouts should be picked up by their leaders or parents if they do not walk in the parade
    Attire: Field Uniform (Class A), Activity Uniform (Class B) or other appropriate clothing to represent scouting

    Points of Contact:
    Justin Youtz - Cubmaster@...
    Alice Nelson - ARNelsonCH@...

    Other Logistics:
    ·        One person from each unit should be designated as their unit’s parade coordinator and contact POCs above with projected number of participants. If someone wants to join last minute, LET THEM!
    ·        If your unit does NOT participate, any of your members are welcome to join the new Boy Scouts of America - Occoquan District parade entry.
    ·        Each unit will be responsible for bringing, monitoring and returning youth to their parent or guardian.  If the Activity Consent form or other form is used, please use the method your unit practices for an event.
    ·        Safety considerations should be in place for each unit that brings participants.  Heat and weather factors may be a matter of concern.  Each person should wear a BSA appropriate hat or sunglasses and sunscreen.  ALL participants should have some type of hydration for themselves.  Water will be a necessity, not an option.
    ·        To show our patriotism, each participant may bring a small American Flag to wave.  The twelve inch size is great and not tiring for youth to carry.  Full size American Flags and unit flags are welcome.  I would suggest that these be carried in parade belts to minimize the stress of carrying such a large flag for a great distance.
    ·        Passing out candy to the children along the route is entirely up to the discretion of each unit as to whether or not they choose to do so.
    ·        Small wagons may be rolled along the route to carry water, trash and if desired, candy for distribution to parade onlookers.  We will practice the Leave No Trace principals during our march along the route.
    ·        We should have the three costumed characters Akela, Baloo and Tiger.  Awesome volunteers willing to wear these costumes for the entire parade would be much appreciated!  The individuals wearing the costumes MUST be in good health and be able to walk at least one mile in the weather for the day.
    ·         Cub Scout Pack 501 is preparing and presenting a district float to be hauled by a tractor with us in the parade.  No other vehicles or floats should be used for our entry.
    ·         If a Scout or Scouter is not able to walk the entire route, please let us know beforehand so that we can arrange for them to sit on the float.