Merit Badges and Popcorn

  • John Larkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013

      Leaders,

      As more and more Boy Scout Troops are selling popcorn during NCAC's yearly fundraiser I thought it was important to share a handout on Merit Badges that will be given to leaders during kickoff this year.

      While most units know that 70% of sales help Scouts in our area but what is not always communicated is that Boy Scouts who participate n the sale may accomplish requirements for 12 different Merit Badges. Because many of the activities involved in popcorn sales are similar to requirements for these Merit Badges, our Council "has approved these activities as formally counting towards Merit Badge requirements."

      Scouts must still ask their Merit Badge Counselors for approval prior to working on these and all other Merit Badges.

      I have uploaded a scanned copy of the handout under "2013 Popcorn Campaign" in Yahoo Groups and will work with council to obtain a better copy which can easily be reproduced for your Scouts.

      If you're new to popcorn sales or want more information on how the fundraiser can help you reach your Scouts or unit's fundraising goals please join us at one of our kickoffs or send me an email.

      I strongly encourage all units to send a representative to one of our many kickoffs during the summer as there have been significant changes over the years, all aimed at helping local Scouts.

      Yours in Scouting,

      John Larkin

      Popcorn Kernel, Occoquan District

      Cell: 703-944-2592

       Email: johnlarkin2@...

      Upcoming Kickoffs:

      TODAY

      Thursday, June 20, 7:30pm

      Our Savior's Way Lutheran Church

      43115 Waxpool Rd.

      Ashburn, VA 20148

      July

      Monday, July 15, 7:30pm

      Marriot Scout Service Center

      9190 Rockville Pike

      Bethesda, MD 20814

      Tuesday, July 16, 7:30pm

      Jameson-Harrison American Legion Post 238

      6265 Brandywine Rd

      Hughesville, MD 20637

      Wednesday, July 17, 7:30pm

      Truro Anglican Church

      10520 Main Street

      Fairfax, VA 22030

      Monday, July 29, 7:30pm

      Ebenezer United Methodist Church

      161 Embrey Mill Rd

      Stafford, VA 22554

      Tuesday, July 30, 7:30pm

      The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

      199 North Place

      Frederick, MD 21701

      August

      Monday, August 19, 7:30pm