2013 Dale City Independence Day Parade

  • youtz_pack501
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2013
      Calling all Packs, Troops, Crews, Ships, individual Scouts and Scouters!

      Whether you are one or one hundred, we invite you to come join us as the Occoquan District will be participating in the Dale City Independence Day Parade again this year. This is a great experience for boys of all ages as well as a chance for the Scouts of the Occoquan District to create a positive, group image for scouting. Come show your patriotism and pride to be a scout!

      When: Thursday, July 4, 2013.
      Time: Parade Gathering 9am.
      Parade Start: 10am
      Length of marching: approximately 1 hour
      Start Location: Dale City Boulevard (normally near the Boys and Girls Club. Final position will be posted on
      Yahoo Groups, Occoquan Website and Pack 501 website 24 to 48 hrs. prior.)
      End Location: Commuter lot behind Center Plaza where there is an annual Family Fun Day
      Attire: Class A Uniform, sunscreen (Games and Food!)
      Points of Contact: Alice Nelson (ARNelsonCH@...) or Justin Youtz (Cubmaster@...)

      Other Logistics:
      • One person from each unit should be designated as their unit's parade coordinator and contact POCs above with projected number of participants. If someone wants to join last minute, LET THEM!
      • If your unit does NOT participate, any of your members are welcome to join the new Boy Scouts of America - Occoquan District parade entry.
      • Each unit will be responsible for bringing, monitoring and returning youth to their parent or guardian. If the Activity Consent form or other form is used, please use the method your unit practices for an event.
      • Safety considerations should be in place for each unit that brings participants. Heat and weather factors may be a matter of concern. Each person should wear a BSA appropriate hat or sunglasses. ALL participants should have some type of hydration for themselves. Water will be a necessity, not an option.
      • To show our patriotism, each participant may bring a small American Flag to wave. The twelve inch size is great and not tiring for youth to carry. Full size American Flags and unit flags are welcome. I would suggest that these be carried in parade belts to minimize the stress of carrying such a large flag for a great distance.
      • Passing out candy to the children along the route is entirely up to the discretion of each unit as to whether or not they choose to do so.
      • Small wagons may be rolled along the route to carry water, trash and if desired, candy for distribution to parade onlookers. We will practice the Leave No Trace principals during our march along the route.
      • We will have the three costumed characters at our disposal ( Akela, Baloo and Tiger.) Awesome volunteers willing to wear these costumes for the entire parade would be much appreciated! The individuals wearing the costumes MUST be in good health and be able to walk at least one mile in the weather for the day. (Riding will also be available on the float provided by Cub Scout Pack 501.)
      • Cub Scout Pack 501 is preparing and presenting a float to be hauled by a tractor with us in the parade. If your unit would like to also present a float, please notify Alice or Justin in order for us to update our application.