NRA Certification Training Opportunities

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2013
      All Interested Scouters,

      You have an opportunity to enroll in a course that will result in you being NRA certified as a Range Safety Officer (RSO). The course occurs on June 22nd. This opportunity was made possible through a contact with the Quail and Upland Wildlife Federation (QUWF) Virginia Chapter 16 and the Arlington-Fairfax Isaac Walton Leaque (A-FIWL).

      The normal cost for this course is $75 but, for us the cost is only $50 per person as long as we work through the QUWF. Also, we must have at least 6 people signed up for the course. This course is required to be certified as an NRA RSO. Being an NRA certified RSO is a requirement to run a BSA affiliated shooring range. If your troop, team or crew plans to include shooting sports in your 2013-2014 annual program plan, having a certified RSO among your registered Scouters is a very good idea.

      We also have opportunities to enroll in NRA rifle and shotgun instructor courses later this year. The tentative dates are the weekends of:

      August 23-25 or 30-1 September

      September 6-8, 20-22, or 27-29

      Each course is normally $150 but, the cost for Occoquan District Scouters is only $100 as long as we work through the QUWF. Having these certifications is a requirement for all rifle and shotgun merit badge counselors.

      If you know of anyone who is interested in these excellant opportunities, have them contact me ASAP using the below contact info.

      E-mail: peter.desalva@...
      mobile phone: 703-772-5797

      The cut off for the 22 June RSO course is 17 June.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Pete DeSalva
      Boy Scout-Varsity Roundtable Commissioner