The Battle of Zekiah Swamp - Waldorf MD

  • mchipman73
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013
      The Battle of Zekiah Swamp
      2013 Spring Event
      March 22 - 24, 2013
      Sons of Confederate Veterans, Camps #2166 & 1400
      Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War - Camp #5
      Dr. Samuel A Mudd Society
      BSA Troop 1321

      Dr. Samuel A. Mudd farm
      3725 Dr. Samuel Mudd Rd, Waldorf, MD 20601

      SCOUTS, VENTURERS & Visitors: You and your unit are invited to join with all Re-enactors at the Spring Event, March 22-24, 2013. This showcase of our War Between the States history will include many community groups. A dedicated staff of scouting volunteers is working hard to put together this extravaganza. We have planned events and activities that will give all Scouts and visitors challenges, fun and excitement. Make sure to come out and join with us as we all celebrate our history! Something new this year is a combined effort with Scouts and reenactors putting on this program. Scouts will learn about the War Between the States soldiers, their life and times, and how their service helped all of us as a nation. In so doing, we keep alive the memory of their sacrifices, teach the true history of the War Between the States, and generate respect for our flags and love of our nation. All of you will have the opportunity to visit the onsite museum and varieties of vendors and historical groups that will be present with displays, demonstrations and interactive events.

      General Event Information: The 2013 Event is an event designed to involve all Scouts in a memorable experience that highlights all aspects of the War Between the States History and Life.

      Camp Rules: Scouts will be expected to follow the Scout Oath and Law for the Event. Scouts are encouraged to wear their Scout uniform throughout the day on Saturday.

      Scouts and camping Visitors: Check-in is scheduled from 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM on Friday at the Front Entrance. Please put troop and personal equipment in as few vehicles as possible. There is limited onsite parking we are expecting a large turnout. Scout trailers are to be parked in the marked parking area, there will be no campsite trailer parking, and all trailers must remain in the designated area.

      Cub Scouts: The day program starts at 8:00 AM with check in with opening at 9:30 AM

      Check-Out: Scouts need to have their campsites inspected by the staff and be checked out no later than 11:00 A.M. on Sunday March 24th. Event packages will be given at check out.

      Medical Requirements: The Event staff includes a medical staff made up of medical personnel. All units camping overnight must have a current medical summary sheet on file with an in-site unit.

      Fires: No ground fires are permitted. Above ground fires in containers are permitted. Fire barrels must not be in direct contact with the ground. No collecting of firewood will be allowed, so plan on packing in.

      Campfire: There will be a campfire. Saturday evening there will be a district-wide campfire program that is sure to be a memorable production. The campfire will be in an open field area. You may want to bring a tarp to sit on. Lawn chairs will only be allowed in the back of the assembly area.

      Conservation: There is to be no cutting down of any trees. The Outdoor Code and Leave No Trace policies will be followed at all times.

      Garbage: NO dumpsters will be available. Please help keep the site clean, all trash must be removed.

      Water: Water will be provided onsite approximately 400 yards from the campsites so plan accordingly.

      The rifle design template will be posted on the Zekiah Web site as a PDF file for easy download.

      Please register your group troop/pack/group as a whole and not individually.
      Register at: hjctjbc@... & Howard.j.coombs@... Send to both emails to ensure Jerry receives it. Please make checks payable to the Troop 1321. Please return this completed registration form and payment to:
      Jerry Coombs , 8665 Marshall Corner Road, Pomfret , Md 20675
      301-744-4006wk 301-535-2791c 301-934-4354hm

      Pack registration for the Saturday: If Webelos are planning on camping they need to contact a troop and register with them. Camping is for scouts and their parents only, no siblings please. The cost is as above for each person scout or adult. Each will receive an Event Patch.

      DIRECTIONS: The Mudd property is located in Northern Charles County, Md.
      From US-301 / Rt. 5 go South on Rt. 5, travel 1.8 miles, Turn left onto SR-5 North / Mattawoman Beantown Rd travel ½ mile Turn right onto Poplar Hill Rd travel 2.8 miles, Turn right onto Doctor Samuel Mudd Rd travel 0.2 miles property on right. Enter the road and proceed to registration. Note all vehicles will be required to park in the designated areas, no vehicles or trailers will be allowed in campsites.