Passing of Mr. Dennis Keener

  • zetojf
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013

      It is with extremely heavy heart I send this email to inform the Scouts, Leaders, and parents in Troop 1919 and the Occoquan District that we have lost one of our own, Mr. Dennis Keener, who passed away last Friday.

      Dennis was a leaders' leader, a role model to all in general, and a mentor to many, myself included.  Dennis was the type of scout leader I aspire and hope, one day, to be.  A man of deep convictions, Dennis was genuinely concerned for all scouts, truly loved the scouting program and its values, and consistently promoted the quality of the young men it produces.

      An avid Scouter, Dennis was a steadfast supporter of Troop 1919 and the scouts in it since joining the Troop in 2007, and for the past six years Dennis held positions including Merit Badge Counselor, Troop Committee Member, and Troop OA Representative Advisor.  Prior to joining Troop 1919, Dennis served as a Cubmaster in Pack 964, Assistant Scoutmaster in Troop 92, and Assistant Crew Advisor in Crew 1919.  Concurrently with these, Dennis was intimately involved in the Occoquan Chapter of the Order of the Arrow serving in various positions to include Chapter Advisor; he also rendered annual service to the Council's Camping facilities as a Goshen Bear.

      Dennis, we are the better for having known you, particularly those of us who served under your tutelage.  The boots you leave behind are huge, none of us can fill them completely; you will be truly missed.

      Jack Zeto

      8

      Dennis Keener

      1950-2013

      Troop 1919 Committee Member, TOAR, MBC, Friend

      The family will receive friends from 7pm to 9pm on Thursday, February 7, 2013 at Mountcastle Turch Funeral Home, 4143 Dale Blvd. Dale City, VA. A Life Celebration service will be held at 11am, February 8, at the funeral home, followed by interment at Dumfries Cemetery.  Anyone wishing to make a donation in memoriam may do so to the Boy Scouts of America, http://aplacetogive.scouting.org or the Izaak Walton League, 707 Conservation Lane, Gaithersburg, MD 20878.