Dale City Independence Day Parade - Position # 114

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012

      The Dale City Independence Day Parade is on Wednesday, July 4, 2012.

      Our District position number is 114.  They must be saving the best for last, because that is just about where we are.

      If your unit does NOT participate annually, any of your members are welcome to join the new Boy Scouts of America - Occoquan District parade entry.

      So far, we have three Packs and one Troop participating in the new district parade unit.  There will also be a BSA - Occoquan District booth at the Family Fun Day area.

      It does not matter if you have one parent and child or twenty Scouts and two Scouters. This is an opportunity for any district youth to be in the parade to show their patriotism and be proud to be a member of the Boy Scouts of America.

      All Scouts and Scouters should wear their official BSA Field Uniform (Class A). If a participant does not have a Field Uniform, then their Activity Uniform (Class B) will suffice.

      Safety considerations should be in place for each unit that brings participants.  Heat and weather factors may be a matter of concern.  Each person should wear a BSA appropriate hat or sunglasses. ALL participants should have some type of hydration for themselves.  Water will be a necessity, not an option.

      To show our patriotism, each participant may bring a small American Flag to wave. The twelve inch size is great and not tiring for youth to carry. Full size American Flags and unit flags are welcome. I would suggest that these be carried in parade belts to minimize the stress of carrying such a large flag for a great distance.

      We have the three costumed characters, Akela, Baloo and Tiger from Council.  We still need three persons to volunteer to wear these costumes.  Due to the high heat, they will not be worn for the entire parade route, but only for a short distance.  If interested, please come to the District's Fun Day booth to help us out.

      Line-up will start around 9:00 am and the parade will begin promptly at 10:00 am starting at Kirkdale Road and Dale Boulevard.  The line-up will go as far back as the Boys and Girls Club. The parade ends at commuter lot behind Center Plaza where the annual Family Fun Day is.

      The east bound lane of Dale Boulevard will be sole for that parade participants.  The west bound lanes will become two-way traffic for the parade.

      Please, consider joining us in Dale City's time honored tradition and celebrate our country's birthday and plan to be there by 9:15 a.m. to find us in the line-up

      Alice Nelson

      Occoquan District Cub Scout Roundtable