  • ken.todd@frb.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011

      FLAG DAY
      JUNE 14, 2011
      QUANTICO NATIONAL CEMETERY

      Scouts and Scouters,

      Have you ever wondered what happens to American Flags once they start to become worn, tattered, and unserviceable?  Did you know that there is a proper ceremony to honor the service these flags have rendered as they are retired?

      What better day to honor flags that have served this country well, than Flag Day?  What better place for this ceremony to take place than Quantico National Cemetery?

      Bring your Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing Crews, Girl Scouts and families to Quantico National Cemetery on Tuesday evening, June 14, at 7:00 PM.  We try to begin the ceremony promptly at 7:00 P.M.  You should plan to get there before that time to get your units in place.

      If you have flags to be retired, please bring them! If you wish to bring heavy duty scissors to use to assist with cutting the large flags, please do so, they are always welcome.

      I know that all Scouts will "Do Their Best" to behave appropriately and not run around the cemetery, but I would also suggest, especially for younger Scouts, that you "Be Prepared" for a period of inactivity while the Units are forming up.

      If you have never been to the cemetery, take I-95 to exit 150B (the Triangle/Quantico Exit). Head west approximately 2 miles.  (Pass Prince William Forest Park entrance.)  Quantico National Cemetery will be on the left side of the road.  Follow the driveway back until you see the people congregating.

      We’ll have another great patch for sale this year, representing both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, to commemorate the event. ($3)   Checks payable to Carol or to Steve Courtney.

      A reminder to all Cubs, this activity counts as a summer activity.

      If you have further questions, contact Carol Courtney at CourtneyScouts@... or 540-548-8706.