2011 Family Friends of Scouting (FFOS) Campaign Update

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
      The Occoquan district 2011 FFOS Campaign has gotten off to a slow start. With just twenty five of the forty eight non-LDS units having scheduled their FFOS presentation, we need to get the remaining units on the presentation schedule ASAP.

      As of January 31st, the district running total stood at $6,626 from eight units. Last year at this time we had collected $11,360. Troop 857 had an early lead with $1,815 in contributions and pledges but Troop 35, the long-time district leader, has come on strong with $2,596 having been collected.

      The biggest concern this month is the scheduling of FFOS presentations at Cub Scout packs' Blue & Gold Banquets. There are still a lot of packs who have not yet responded to outreach efforts by area coordinators and we are already in the second week of the month. If your unit has not already received its FFOS presentation or has not been scheduled, please contact Bill Evans (wmcevans@...) or your area coordinators ASAP. The area coordinators are listed below.

      North service area (Lake Ridge, southern Woodbridge,Occoquan)
      Stan Mushaw at smushaw@...
      South service area (Ashland, Montclair)
      Doug Currell at dcurell@...
      Central service area (Dale City, southern Woodbridge)
      Pete DeSalva at pdesalva@...
      Eastern service area (Route #1 corridor)
      Bill Evans at wmcevans@...
      LDS service area
      Brandon Scott at dardengrad@...

      Remember, during February the priority of support goes to the Cub Scout Packs because that is when they have their Blue & Gold dinners; the premier family event for them and an excellant time to make a FFOS presentation.

      Presentation materials and trained district-level presenters are available to support unit FFOS campaigns. If your unit has not yet been contacted by your area coordinator let Bill Evans know and he'll get you on the presentation schedule.

      YIS,

      Pete DeSalva
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2011
        Families & Friends of Scouting,

        Spring seems just around the corner with blustery winds and cleansing rain. The district total stands at $23,300 including funds turned in last night. This is about 47% of where we want to be and represent an increase of a couple thousand dollars over where we were this time last year! We are on track.

        That is not to say all is well with the campaign. I have noted that most units who received a FFOS presentation have only made one turn in. That tells me (1) there has been little or no follow up by unit coordinators (UCs) after the initial FFOS presentation or (2) the UCs are holding onto contributions and pledges. Both possibilities are to be avoided.

        As during previous campaigns, our strategy is to attain 100% contact of every Scouting familiy in the district so they have the opportunity to support Scouting. 100% contact CANNOT BE REACHED with one presentation alone. THERE MUST BE FOLLOW UP ACTION BY THE UNIT COORDINATOR! This means a personal approach, preferably face-to-face but at least over the phone. If the family declines to make a contribution or pledge, that is OK. But not giving them the opportunity to contribute to the Scouting program is not. Most people will make a contribution if they are asked but, they must be asked!

        Unit Coordinators must not hold onto pledges or contributions for more than a few days or at most a week. To do so presents numerous opportunities for items to get "lost" or "misplaced". Additionally, failing to turn these in in a timely manner delays getting any pledges or charges into processing and could result in funds not being collected. We have lots of unit collection envelopes and will gladly issue as many as desired or as long as supplies last.

        Here is what the leader board looks like as of this morning.

        Highest Amount Collected
        T1369 ($4,300) Go get'em!
        T35 ($3,311)
        T964 ($2,030)

        Highest Per Youth
        C1396 ($197.50) They are going to be hard to beat
        T1390 ($125.56)
        T857 ($106.76)

        Highest % Family Support (based on 12/31/2010 fieldsheets)
        T857 (41%) Looking good!
        T102 (40%)
        T1390 (38%)

        Greatest Amount Increase Over 2010
        T857 (+$1,315) Oh yeah!
        T964 (+$850)
        P1390 (+$545)

        Greatest % Increase Over 2010
        T857 (363%) Lots of Scout spirit here!
        P108 (303%)
        T964 (172%)

        District % Family Support = 4% (2009 = 22%, 2010 = 31%, 2011 goal = 40%)

        Units who have NOT yet scheduled a FFOS presentation are:
        Packs 35, 292, 634, 689, 1189, and 1353
        Troops 43, 74, 1352, and 1420
        Crews 43, 295, 1919

        The district has plenty of presentation materials and trained presenters available to support unit level campaigns. If your unit has not been contacted by your area coordinator, please let Bill Evans (wmcevans@...) know and he will get you scheduled and supported.

        The weather this year has been much milder than last year and it is reflected in our being a bit better off so far. Don't get overconfident. We still have a good ways to go before we match our stellar performance from last year. This will take support from all units and their Scouting families. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CONTINUE TO "DO YOUR BEST".

        Thank you for your continued support of Scouting in the district.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Peter DeSalva
        2011 FFOS Campaign District Coordinator
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
          Families & Friends of Scouting,

          We are entering the final stages of the District's 2011 FOS Campaign. As of last Thursday (24th) our total stands at #31,283 (about $8K more than last month and $2,600 ahead of last year at this point). This is about 63% of where we want to be at the end of the campaign! We are still on track.

          As during previous campaigns, our strategy is to attain 100% contact of every Scouting familiy in the district so they have the opportunity to support Scouting. If you have intended to make a contribution but have not yet done so, the time is running out. Please contact your unit coordinator immediately.

          Here is what the leader board looks like as of the 24th.

          Highest Amount Collected
          T1369 ($4,810) Still in the lead!
          T35 ($4,676) Catching up
          T189 ($2,375)

          Highest Per Youth
          C1396 ($197.50) Still on top
          T1390 ($125.56)
          T857 ($87.94)

          Highest % Family Support (based on 12/31/2010 fieldsheets)
          T1378 (56%)
          T102 (50%)
          T857 (41%)

          Greatest Amount Increase Over 2010
          T857 (+$1,315) Wahoo!
          T964 (+$900)
          T1369(+$810)

          Greatest % Increase Over 2010
          P289 (1,622%) Oh my!
          T1392 (1,500%)
          T857 (363%)

          District % Family Support = 11% (2009 = 22%, 2010 = 31%, 2011 goal = 40%)

          There are nine units who have NOT yet scheduled a FFOS presentation are:
          Packs 292 and 689
          Troops 74, 1352, and 1420
          Crews 43, 295, 1919
          Ship 7916

          The district has plenty of presentation materials and trained presenters available to support unit level campaigns. If your unit has not been contacted by your area coordinator, please let Bill Evans (wmcevans@...) know and he will get you scheduled and supported.

          As the weather warms up let's not forget that the campaign needs everyone's support. Don't get overconfident. We still have a good
          ways to go before we meet this year's goal. The support from all units and their Scouting families is still needed. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CONTINUE TO "DO YOUR BEST".